Author Topic: 80 Invader  (Read 5827 times)

JDmatt

80 Invader
« on: November 17, 2012, 05:47:25 PM »
I bought this Invader over the summer for $75, and it was about 15 minutes from home.  The chassis has a lot of rust, and a little bit of rotting, but I don't think it's enough to be worried about.  The engine on the other hand was in great shape, and I suspect it was rebuilt in recent years, but the rest of the sled was not.  Besides all the rusted bolts, the suspension has the typical broken brackets, the skis are rotting away, and it has some track issues.  The hood has been custom painted to look like an LTD.  I started taking it apart late summer, but then took a break because work got busy and I ran short on time.  Got back to it today, to finish breaking it down.  It took some liberal use of a cut-off wheel on bolts to get things done. 
Matt
www.JDsleds.com - John Deere Snowmobiles
www.newbreedparts.com - New parts for John Deere & Kawasaki Snowmobiles

JDmatt

Re: 80 Invader
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 05:55:30 PM »
This past weekend I picked up a '79 Intruder parts machine to be a donor.  It will supply the suspension, track, skis, maybe seat for now, and misc. parts. 

This is the track that was on the Invader.  I was under the impression that Kawasaki didn't use cleated tracks, but there it is.  Is this correct, or what is it from? 

Matt

ChaChi

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 07:02:48 PM »
That's an early track I think earlier then 80, but I could be mistaken... My 79 drifter and 81 LTD both came from the factory with molded tracks, no cleats...

If you live in the US find yourself some phosphoric acid, and throw all the steel suspension parts in it and it will eat rust without eating metal, same stuff they put in coca cola and pepsi... Also works wonders on ski's as long as they have metal left on them!

Good luck with her, good to see someone keeping another old sled alive!

Cheers

wildwolf

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 10:13:20 PM »
My Dad and me have about 15 Kawis in our collection(3 Interceptors), I haven't seen metal bars like that before. I do remember when we bought our first NEW Invader in 78 there was a track recall, the original tracks fiberglass reinforcing rods that were molded in and would start coming apart. The new tracks solved that issue. I think the Invaders use a standard 15 x 121 track that you can find from most 80s to 90s machines.

Kevin :)

jimvw57

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 05:45:28 AM »
Correct. You don't want to follow a sled with the old style track...

JDmatt

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 06:39:54 AM »
Well, it doesn't matter I guess, I'm putting the Intruder track on it. 

Is there any reason I can't use the '79 Intruder suspension?  It looks pretty similar but lacks the upper idlers on the rear brackets, and it's got 4 rear idlers on the axle instead of 3 on the Invader.  Should I built it with 3 or 4? 
Matt

jimvw57

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 08:01:11 AM »
The original track with the bars across used the 3 wheels in the back. When they went with the new style track, they went with the 4 wheels in the rear.  The 4 wheels are a larger diameter, and with the new style track, need to be used. Otherwise you won't be able to get the correct tension on the track.  The Intruder suspension will bolt right in and is the same.

Might want to go with new slides and pull the cross shafts clean them and add grease while it is apart.

JDmatt

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 08:56:38 AM »
Great info, thank you.
I already ordered slides from MFG Supply, but they said they're not in stock, so I'm not very confident I'll get them since I know they are discontinued.  My New Breed supplier doesn't have them either.  The suspension will definitely get greased & all new bearings (some of those idlers on the 4-shaft are falling off)
Matt

Lloyd (ljm)

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 09:16:22 AM »
Matt

I have used Polarias slides. They are the same Profile you just have to cut the guide off the side.

Hopefully that makes sense. It is clear in my head   just not comming out all that clear.

Lloyd
77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres

JDmatt

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 03:53:17 PM »
Lloyd, I think I see what you mean.  This style?
Matt

Lloyd (ljm)

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 04:01:51 PM »

Yes Matt that is the style.

I just used a sharp knife and cut the piece off the side.

Glad you could figure out what I was saying  :)

Lloyd
77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres