Author Topic: 78 Intruder 440  (Read 8570 times)

thomy

Re: 78 Intruder 440
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 01:18:09 PM »
DO NOT USE ACID DIP ON ZINC MIKUNI CARBS. After you do they corrode quickly.

58Evinrude

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 11:12:11 PM »
Well, I hope it's not acid.. there's been carb in there for 6 hours now. It's from Napa, a Kleen Flo product, called "Carb Cleaner". Sort of a milky whitish brown colour.

While I'm waiting for the original carbs to get clean, I installed a set of 34mm Mikuni's off a Rotax 580 (I think) New lines, clean tank, new pump. Modified a Yammi recoil to fit. A couple of pumps of the primer, and it started on the first pull!!! Scared the hell out of me!!

It's running rich, but it's running, and I even took it for a quick ride. All the lights work (the dash lights are way better than my 80), I think it's going to be a fun little project. It's making a noise on the pto side, either a crank bearing is gone, or it's in the oil pump drive. I haven't checked the pump drive for oil, I was so shocked that it started.

It's running on pre-mix for now, I'll be pulling the motor this summer and going thru it. New seals, etc, and try and find the source of the noise. It wasn't there when it first started, and it's not constant, but an intermittent noise.

I'm still shocked that it started on one pull!!!

58Evinrude

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 07:11:16 PM »
It's alive. Got the carbs rebuilt, and gave it a quick run today in the slush. It still needs work, but that's what I bought it for, a project.

kawhead

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 08:04:22 AM »
looks like a nice project,i have a 78 also but its a little on the ruff side.yours has the h d colling kit installed...or at least the hood vent.