Author Topic: Headlight not working  (Read 6915 times)

kawhead

Re: Headlight not working
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 08:00:11 AM »
i must say there are times i want to see how far out the back door i can throw my fancy fluke meter... :o

kawhead

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 08:01:51 AM »
there was a service bulliten on bad wire ends at the tail lite.....unplug the tail lite harness and see what you have

58Evinrude

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »
I'll try that. I've had the tail light right out, re-did the mounts. It seems funny that that one is the first to go. I'm using an ordinary 1157 bulb?

Checkmarks

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 01:38:34 AM »
Only the voltage regulator giving you trouble in your case of blowing bulbs.  The order the bulbs go out is not relevant.  Your meter does not need to work.  You are getting voltage but then only too much voltage.  Even if you have melted fused wires touching ground that would not matter (light would not work).  Just a good voltage regulator and you are back lighted up. 

Melted fused wires would cause other problems like; crap grab a fire extinguisher.  Speaking of these new crap multi-meters...  Hope my old one never fails, then after about 30 years I doubt it would.  Then new economy tricks you into buying the new one such then it can go out after the warranty.   Bastards. 

58Evinrude

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 05:43:56 AM »
Meters.. Mine was recalled!! Something about it catching fire if used to measure amperage. Since it would cost me more to drive back to the store than I paid for it, and I never measure amps, I didn't bother.

I've got one from over 30 years ago, works great!!

I'll replace the voltage reg.

:)

DougKauer

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 05:00:20 PM »
I just checked again today and the tail light is working, but it didn't seem like the brake light  was working. All connections look good.  Going to check bulb next. Tried to look under the radatior, but nothing seemed out of place.  Will have to get a closer look. Someone mentioned the cdi box?   Doug

jimvw57

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 05:30:09 PM »
CDI box only controls the ignition coil, nothing to do with the lights.  Voltage Regulator maybe??