Tech Information > So you got a "New to you Kawasaki snowmobile"

1980 440 Drifter

<< < (2/4) > >>

rminier:
 Go to the "Tips and tricks" section on here and go down to the 4th post...."Crank seals for dummies"...good info.
You will have to get 4 things....
1)  Proper clutch puller....here is one place that carries them;   https://www.mfgsupply.com/725-068.html
2)  A decent flywheel puller.
        (if the clutch and flywheel have never been removed, they can be stuck on the crankshaft really tight.)
3)  A torque wrench. The shop manual will show the proper torque and tightening sequence for the bolts that hold the crankcase halves together. Doesn't have to be a fancy one, I continue to use an old Craftsman beam type.
4)  A good crankcase sealant. As is mentioned in the "Crank seals for dummies" post, don't ever try any type of RTV Silicone, I don't care what color. That stuff will start to dissolve in the presence of gas or oil and turn to jelly. I use Threebond 1184....pretty widely available. I think Yamaha and Kawasaki still make good sealants for this also and dealers would probably have it.

8) 8)

whitley1983:
Here's my progress so far, hopefully soon will start putting it all back together. Does anyone have any leads on how to either repair or where I can buy a new base for the seat? It's the only thing I haven't been able to find online that I need. Thanks in advance
-Jake

whitley1983:
more pics

Interceptor398:
Great progress!  Seat bases are a problem and new ones seldom show up for sale.

gixxer6:
I've only ever worked on seats for the Liquid sleds...Could you make a base out of some treated plywood for the Drifter?  Otherwise you're basically stuck trying to repair what you have. 

I think I have an extra trunk door.  PM me if you're interested. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version