Site News > Discussion & Help

Both plugs firing the same time

<< < (2/3) > >>

Kasperwing1:
It does have CDI I discovered after removing the flywheel. The guru at my Kawasaki shop in town says only 4 cycle CDI's have extra spark. Extra-spark would be 4 sparks per revolution on a two-cylinder I videotaped my plugs firing outside the engine. I then slowed the video to 1/4 speed to count the sparks. I confirmed with math that each plug is firing once per revolution. I am going to try to download the correct Trax from Online manuals library. Kawasaki stuff not on Manuals Library anymore. The Kawasaki.com manuals is down. Is there a SS340-A2 Invader schematic available here, at least the engine schematic?
I do have 4 wires that go to a voltage regulator after splices outside the case from the CDI. I'm going to draw the existing wiring today and show it to my friend who teaches electronics at the university in town. I drew what I see on the engine. Since the coils are stacked, they are the same location rotationally. This looks like they would fire the same time. Our guru in town at the Suzuki/ Kawasaki dealer says only 4 cycle CDI fire the same time twice per revolution. I took video and slowed it down to count sparks. They each spark once per revolution at the same time. They need to fire 180 apart.

mswyka:
Are there numbers on the engine that you can share to help us understand which engine you have?  There should be casting numbers on the heads something like 440 A2 or 340 A2 and then on the shroud around the mag there should be another engine plate with the model number.

Lloyd (ljm):

If it is a CDI.  The plugs will fire together. Twice per engine revolution. I am sure to produce separate spark you would need 2 coils.

Honestly I am wondering if you are spending lots of time and energy chasing a non issue.

Kasperwing1:
I will go to the hangar tomorrow and check engine numbers. I will also check the flywheel to see if it has one or two magnets. I'm thinking flywheels for points should have one magnet, but you need two magnets, 180 apart, for this type of capacitor magneto. I think two magnets will cause both plugs to fire twice per revolution. Each type of magneto needs a specific type of flywheel.

Kasperwing1:
The DATA PLATE says: TB340A-C202. Also, on the flywheel shroud TB340A-011371. On the flywheel: FP 5460. On the Armature Plate: KOKOSAN DENKI CO. Flywheel has 4 magnets with half inch between each.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version