Author Topic: No lights 79 Invader 440  (Read 3360 times)

Marisa30

No lights 79 Invader 440
« on: November 22, 2012, 11:44:23 AM »
I have been working on a 440 invader I have I haven't been able to get any lights. It starts and runs and shuts off fine just no lights at all. I ohmed out the lighting coil and it seems to be with in limits, anyway it isn't open - I guess it could be shorted. I also swapped out a different harness from a 78 still nothing.I also swapped in a another voltage regulator and the same no joy situation. I am wondering how often a lighting coil would fail it sure is looking like it could be bad (except for the ohm check). Has any one else had one fail on the Invader? I have seen them on ebay for $40-$70 plus shipping. Thanks in advance.

gixxer6

Re: No lights 79 Invader 440
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 08:58:21 PM »
Check the voltage while its running. 

Is your tach working?  The tach is a frequency counter, and will not work if the lighting coil is shorted. 

sljsmc

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 10:16:16 PM »
I don't want to hijack someone elses thread but, I have a 1980 invader that I just picked up. I was messing with it and the lights don't work but the bulbs are good. The brake light worked but when I pulled the bulb out to check it I found the socket is broken (the little plate with the 2 terminals). I had the bulbs pulled out of the guages and when I pulled the starter rope the bulbs would light up if the engine didn't start. If the machine started the lights quit working. I don't know if this may be the case in the original case. I haven't disconnected the tail light assembly but if the terminal is grounded out would that cause this.

Steven

Invader440

• Up Norte Dere in Fosston, Mn
    • Curt's Snowmobiling Page
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 12:16:17 PM »
Simple and stupid thing but do you have the key in the run/lights position instead of just the run position?  Yes, I've been guilty of this lol.

jimvw57

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 02:25:19 PM »
Been there.... or maybe a bad ground??