Author Topic: 81 intruder 440 problems  (Read 8875 times)

5kaws

81 intruder 440 problems
« on: January 16, 2015, 01:33:39 PM »
Hi everyone
   So I'm having some problems with my intruder now for some reason  , head light stopped working , tail light and dash lights fine  and now when I start it up sometimes runs fine but most times boggy and won't rev up. Starts first pull no problems at idle all the time steady 3000 RPMs.

Things done are
New invader voltage regulator (not runnings battery )
New fuel lines all lines replaced
Getting good spark
New plugs br9eya's
Klotz 2cycle oil
Cleaned carbs, air box , exhaust not clogged
New seals , gaskets in engine , compression is 150/148
Cleaned all wire connections and checked all wires for any breaks or damage
Pretty much everything has been done to rebuild or restore it to like new running condition but now for some reason it's boggy and won't go nowhere now   
    Any help would be great  !  Thanks mike

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: 81 intruder 440 problems
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 03:06:55 PM »
Is the enricher hooked up and if so are there air bubbles in the enricher lines going to the carbs?  Burned out headlight?  What was the last thing you changed before the trouble started?

5kaws

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 03:46:09 PM »
Thanks interceptor for helping
They are hooked up , no bubbles that I've seen.
If I was to prime it or enrichen while running it it stalls.   
    Beginning of the season I pulled it out of storage and put fresh gas in it.  started within three or four pulls  ran great headlight worked On low and high beam. then let it sit for a week or two then we got snow so I then try to start it started first pull but no head light.
I tried to ride it , was really boggy.   

5kaws

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 10:11:40 PM »
Anybody have any other ideas??
Coil going bad or bad? About the only thing I can think of.

kawhead

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 08:02:55 AM »
have you cleaned the carbs this year?i suspect the o rings[bog].....con the headlite i'd check for a good ground at the bulb

5kaws

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 03:45:00 PM »
Kawhead , I did clean the carbs and fuel tank and have new gas in it. 
Which o-rings are talking about in the carbs? On the air/mixture screws?
Thanks mike

rminier

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 03:45:54 PM »
Sounds like you have covered most all of the bases getting this ready to ride. I don't think that the headlight problem is related at all to the bogging issue. The lighting coil on the stator is an entirely separate circuit from the ignition circuit. It sounds like your keyswitch and it's connection is OK since your other lights work. The problem has to be from the the keyswitch or dimmer switch to the headlight, or the headlight connection.
 I'm trying to think what areas I would "Revisit" if I was in your shoes for the bogging. It sure sounds like your getting too much fuel in the mixture if a squirt from the primer, or giving it some choke, makes the bog worse.
  Like "kawhead" mentioned, those little o rings in the carb have to seal perfectly to the needle jet and the float bowl, or they will leak fuel through the main jet circuit. That may be the 1st thing I would check, if there's any doubt in your mind.
  Is a choke plunger hanging up and not returning down to the fully seated position with the choke off? You should have about 1/16 inch of play on the plunger cable with the choke lever off.
  A carb needle and seat leaking by? Probably not, but worth a look.
  Is a float hanging up, even though you cleaned the carbs? Do you have an in-line fuel filter in the system? Sometimes some crud from the tank can mess up all the time spent cleaning the carbs.
  Could your new gas have some water in it that settled to the bottom of the tank in the time since you filled it? Probably not, since your sled is starting and idling OK....but...?
  One more thing to try, if you haven't done this. If your bog is fuel related, this won't help, but I have seen it cause some strange running issues. Unscrew the spark plug caps from the wires. Trim the wires back about 3/8 inch and firmly screw the caps back onto the fresh wire. This loss of a perfect connection over 35 years can really make you scratch your head over spark issues. It's easy and takes 5 minutes.
  Just some thoughts of things to try.
  Good Luck!
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

5kaws

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 03:54:41 PM »
rminier ,  very good ideas! 
I've got another key switch to try and its definitely worth a try. 
I understand now what o-rings you guys are talking about , and they wernt in the best of shape if I remeber right
That totally makes sense of how that carb works now.   I'm gonna try all these and get back soon!  Thanks guys! Mike.

rminier

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 03:56:15 PM »
Whoops, you posted your question just before I posted...when you remove the float bowl from the carb, there is a small o ring (1/4 inch in diameter, roughly) on the bottom of the brass needle jet, that then fits down into a well in the float bowl when you attach it to the carb body. Those little suckers have to be in good shape or it will bog like a pig. If yours are bad, we can search on this site...others have posted some various sources to buy them, but I can't remember off the top of my tiny head. :)
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

5kaws

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 04:04:21 PM »
Ok perfect !
I will look, and I'll try couple parts stores for gas o-rings
Thanks again

5kaws

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 08:39:44 PM »
Well send me the bill hahaha
I'm not 100% yet but the o-rings may have been the problem. 
Put some new ones in , started it and running good and takes full throttle good with no bog.
Im gonna ride tomorrow and will get back with the results
Thanks guys !! a lot!!
  Gonna look at key switch and headlight problem tomorrow
       Thank you again.  -mike

rminier

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 08:30:37 AM »
Outstanding! Good to hear. Regarding your headlight problem, I sure don't think the keyswitch is the problem. The keyswitch receives 12 V current from the voltage regulator to the "B" terminal on the keyswitch. When you have the key in the "run/lights" position, it sends 12 V current out of the "L" terminal on the keyswitch to some red/yellow wires. It has to be working, because current is going to your taillight and instrument lights.
  One of the "hot" red/yellow wires runs to a plug-in connector for the dimmer switch. At that connector, the "hot" wire changes to brown to the dimmer switch. The switch then sends current out to the headlight through the green wire..hi beam..or the orange wire..lo beam.
  I would look very closely at the brown/yellow connection at the headlight plug-in connector. That's the ground. Without a good ground, neither the hi or lo beam will work.
  If that is OK, get the airbox out of the way and find the connector for the dimmer switch. Unplug it, mist it with some WD-40, plug it in and out a few times.
  If your REALLY unlucky, it's possible the dimmer switch could have broken internally, but unlikely.
  Electrical problems can suck, hopefully this will help speed up the process.. ;)

kawhead

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 08:15:00 AM »
check for 12v at the headlite plug using the plug ground   seen a couple with poor connections

5kaws

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 05:15:48 PM »
I didn't get time today to check headlight  , but I will and then get back with results.   Thanks again -Mike

5kaws

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 05:03:57 PM »
Happy to say we have a foot of snow and the intruder and others are running well!!  Thanks guys!!