Author Topic: Took today off to go RIDING!  (Read 2478 times)

rminier

Took today off to go RIDING!
« on: February 02, 2015, 07:23:58 AM »
 Gotta plow the drive with the Cub Cadet 1st, then it's play time. Mad Kaw Disease is a vicious thing. A Craigslist post in South Haven, Michigan for an '82 ?? Invader (it's an '81) for 800 bucks. Looks immaculate....I know, buyer beware looking at Craigslist  pics....AND an '80 LTD in Portland, Indiana for a thousand bucks that looks very nice, also. Both priced kinda high, but soooo tempting. Both fairly close...but, I really don't need another one....do I?
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

kawhead

Re: Took today off to go RIDING!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 08:11:25 AM »
a little high but both are desireable sleds....a lot more work fixing up a pile of ......keep the info and see if they sold in a month or so  ;)

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 08:20:39 AM »
Just be careful...   I called on an 81' Invader that looked great (recently), but the seller didn't mention the hood issue that wasn't in the pic.  It appeared that someone tried their hands (or lack of) with some fiberglass repair.  :o His response was "it's well worth what I am asking".  I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion!  Those kawi hoods are hard to find in nice shape and aside from those pesky belly pan cracks...  the hood is the most sought after part of the entire sled!!!    IMO.
Torys Vintage Sleds

rminier

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 08:44:36 AM »
U guys are killing me. I have to bore you with a quick story....When I bought my '79 Invader way back in 1982 at a motorsports dealer in Crawfordsville, In, one of the 1st things I did in the next week was drive 20 minutes to "Clems Kawasaki" in Logansport, In. to order a service manual. Sadly, they are no longer in business. I walked in and there, amongst the dirt bikes, street bikes, ATV's, etc. sat a lone carry over '81 Invader. You remember the adds back then, and the brochures? The US Olympic skier, Billy the Kid, riding the '81 'Vader in his cowboy hat and shades?....(where's ur helmet, Billy?). The '81 is even COOLER...remains my all time fave to this day.
 Drive is plowed, time to suit up and fire up the vintage iron...signing off...Will check back with u sled heads later.... :)
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 01:26:05 PM »
I took my 78 Invader out to go throw wood in the neighbors boiler. They have me keep the fire going when they are gone.  It was -8 and she took about 10 pulls ( normally 3 ) to get it to go. Recoil rope broke last pull but it was running so away we went.  Made it back OK but now I have that to take care of.

kawhead

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 08:32:40 AM »
gotta hate recoil work....greasy springs,my fav.. :P

rminier

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 02:53:50 PM »
 Well, it was back to the old "grind" today, but had a blast yesterday. Had these 3 out for some good, long rides, then 1 of my sons joined me after he got off work. They all ran great...knock on wood.  Holy crap, my 61 year old body doesn't handle this as well as it used to. Back in the '80's I took the Invader to Michigan several times with a couple of buddies and we would RIDE. Didn't mess around bar hopping (much)  ;), we would grab an evening meal, and then head out to ride some more at night. Wasn't unusual to put in a 100 mile day. That would probably have me laid up for a week, now.
  The '83 Vmax is supposed to have red graphics. When I first got it in '89, it needed a lot of work, and the paint was kinda dull and scratched up, so I refinished it...I must have been going through a "psychedelic" phase back then.. ;D Kinda wish it was still stock looking. Oh, well.