Author Topic: how to remove steering  (Read 5246 times)

wpginvader

how to remove steering
« on: December 08, 2012, 08:21:45 PM »
does anyone have any information on how to remove the steering on a kawasaki 440 invader? Also why would my steering not fully turn from side to side?

jimvw57

Re: how to remove steering
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 12:53:35 AM »
Just a guess but it could be dry steering post bushings, or ski spindles, or someone put the wrong steering arms on the ski spindles. Maybe the front bumper is bent (on the sides) and is hitting the steering arms?? possibly a bent cross link that is hitting the belly pan or mufflers??

wpginvader

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 10:10:15 AM »
Wish I could upload some pictures from my iPhone,  okay so I can turn the handle bars but nothing is steering g I need to fix the steering column but I don't want to remove the engine what are my options ?   

wpginvader

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 09:41:27 AM »
Okay so here is the problem.

The steering arm going to the joint under the motor has a rubber ball and it's connected by two metal brackets the top bracket broke and the rubber bushing is gone. Now I got one off my parts sled but here is the kicker those brackets are held in by two bolts well the nuts for those bolts are behind the plate on the firewall....well one nut rotted away and now I can't bolt up that bracket anymore any ideas.

I think I might have to remove my engine to fix this problem.

Any info on how to remove my engine ? 1979 Kawasaki invader ?

79Intruder

• Stripping down 79 Intruder
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
I had  (are having) the same problem with mine. To get the engine out you need a clutch puller, Once you get the clutch off . On the recoil side there is a bracket attached to the engine It will have a few bolts that will need to be undone. Once all that is done she will come right out.  P.S. You will need to remove any hoses, air box, Y pip, That may be in the way. Hope this helps.

wpginvader

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 01:32:17 AM »
it helps, just missing the clutch puller, any ideas on how to reconnect that rubber ball bearling on the steering shaft after the engine is out ?

things i have tried

90 degree bolt with washers and nuts  hold for a ride or 2 lol

aircraft wire  < major fail haha!

gixxer6

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 07:19:08 AM »
Do you have access to a welder?