Author Topic: 1980 invader ltd 4/6 question.. Please comment  (Read 3120 times)

Viking

1980 invader ltd 4/6 question.. Please comment
« on: January 18, 2017, 09:41:30 PM »
I got this ltd real nice shape. starts up runs goon for few min. then blaaaa blaaaaa, then dies.. when it cools down i can ride it home. over n over this has happened. new fuel pump, cleaned carbs, new gas line, clamps. so this is my conclusion.. when it dies there is no fuel at carbs. it stops getting fuel when warm. When cold has no leaks, when warmed up case leaks and stops fuel pump and she stalls... I'm gonna tear down i guess cause im not solving the problem.. i tested compression when hot. 120 both sides... it must need the rebuild. Also, shit was falling out of air box, i didnt put it back on yet. could that play a role in stalling out?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 09:49:59 PM by Viking »

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: 1980 invader ltd 4/6 question.. Please comment
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 07:17:36 AM »
When you say new fuel pump is it a rebuilt Kawi pump or something else.  On the Cancer charity build we were having fuel issues we thought??  Another fuel pump was found and installed only to have the same issues so we pulled that pump to rebuild it.  It had been rebuilt but was missing the hole in one of the gaskets needs to be added .  The hole was added and then we had plenty of gas.  Makes me wonder if the sled that had that pump was left for dead because it would not run??

Viking

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 07:31:29 AM »
new pump mikuni.

kawhead

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 10:00:41 AM »
have you done crank seals?

Viking

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 09:52:30 PM »
tear down, so far a cyl. has some groving other one nice. how to fix that? mag side has some groves.. need new cyl? or hone or bore? what can be done?

sprocket

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 06:43:26 AM »
Send both cylinders in for plating,new Pistons & rebuild bottom end. The fuel issue is a check valve or the pump is not correct (meaning work properly) seals on the cases can cause the problem too so can a bad vacuum line. It's hard to troubleshoot over the internet with any problems. The carburetors need to be clean & adjusted correctly.