Author Topic: AAEN PIPES FOR 1980 INVADER  (Read 4326 times)

Shark1980

AAEN PIPES FOR 1980 INVADER
« on: February 06, 2017, 07:59:22 PM »
Hey guys,
       I'm new to the forum and I have a question. I have a set of AAEN pipes that I just purchased recently for my 440 Invader. I am having a heck of a time figuring out how these pipes fit inside the shell. I understand that there has to be some cutting, but I am afraid of getting carried away. Does anybody have an invader with a set of AAEN pipes on it for reference? Also, in the build sheet for the pipes they say I NEED to port out the cylinders. Is it required? Or can I get away with not doing it until a later time?

Viking

Re: AAEN PIPES FOR 1980 INVADER
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 08:37:09 PM »
My understanding is porting not required

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 08:40:53 PM »
Hey guys,
       I'm new to the forum and I have a question. I have a set of AAEN pipes that I just purchased recently for my 440 Invader. I am having a heck of a time figuring out how these pipes fit inside the shell. I understand that there has to be some cutting, but I am afraid of getting carried away. Does anybody have an invader with a set of AAEN pipes on it for reference? Also, in the build sheet for the pipes they say I NEED to port out the cylinders. Is it required? Or can I get away with not doing it until a later time?

Welcome to the site!!  I have never put in a set but someone on here has.  Be patient as some only check in every now and then but when they do you will find out from someone who has done it before.  I assume the pipes were made for ported cylinders.

Teherr

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 06:04:23 AM »
My understanding is until very recently Aaen only had what they called trail pipes or quiet pipes for invaders.  Although there was a porting spec with these pipes, you could run without porting but with 38mm carbs and gain some.

They have recently developed a race pipe which does require porting.  I recently bought a set of these race pipes for an invader engine but fit into a liquifire chassis.  They don't fit.  I am having a local welder fit them.  Aaen did try to convince me get them in 3 pieces and fit them myself.  I should have listened. 
440 Invaders
440 LTD Monohead
Liquifire
80' 4/6 
Intruder Ice Oval Racer
74 El Tigre T7 Free Air
80 Polaris 440 TX
250 & 340 Enticers

Boomologist

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 08:18:24 PM »
I've been running AAEN's on my some of my Invaders for years. If I remember correctly there was not much "cutting" involved. Just where the ends poke through the side. I made the hole larger than the pipes and made a plate from aluminum that the pipes went through and screwed that over the hole.
I have ported and shaved heads on 440's with good results and it really does help the AAEN's perform at there best. I have the porting specs.
I have also ran AAEN's without porting and about all you gain is a great sound. None of my AAEN'S are quiet. They let the wildlife know you are coming.

Shark1980

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 05:36:11 PM »
is there any way you could put up a picture of the pipes inside one of the sleds? That would be of much help

Boomologist

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 08:08:16 PM »
I would be glad to but we are at our "summer" home and sleds aren't. I should be back there next week and will try for a pict if I can get to them with all the snow we have on the ground.

Shark1980

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 05:58:56 PM »
Thanks boomologist if you could send the pictures that would be much appreciated! Ive been scratching my head at this for much too long