Author Topic: Shark racing  (Read 10547 times)

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Shark racing
« on: February 18, 2017, 10:38:23 AM »
A couple pictures to start this.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: Shark racing
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 07:47:34 PM »
I came across this picture of Sprocket  aka Greg Lahr racing his shark clone at Waconia in 2010.

sprocket

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 06:26:30 AM »
Look how much snow we had then

sprocket

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 06:50:29 AM »
This past weekend I had mine out for a test need to figure out a few more things but next year we'll be going to get it back out on the ice the engine has plenty of potential to compete against the others

gixxer6

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 08:43:56 AM »
Did you finish the 340 4/6? 

750-h2

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 09:42:12 AM »
For you Shark fans, here is a great article written by Larry Preston [founder of vintagesleds.com] on his quest to find the elusive Sharks.
http://vintagesleds.com/library/features/shark-hunting/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 03:12:34 PM by 750-h2 »

sprocket

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 06:07:09 AM »
For you Shark fans, here is a great article written by Larry Preston [founder of vintagesleds.com] on his quest to find the elusive Sharks.
http://vintagesleds.com/library/features/shark-hunting/
most of that article is fake the Kawasaki factory including the racers & mechanics guys that were at Waconia a couple years ago really straightened things up as far as how many made & where they made them at, one thing for a fact the sharks were made at shakopee, Mn. As one of the guys said this Larry is like a reporter LOL if he wanted the facts he should of just asked. Not sure if Larry ever gave credit to Mr. Ramstad for most of the pictures he takes credit for others fame & glory you ever wonder why he water marked my picture because he's took credit for it.

750-h2

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 03:32:59 PM »
SPROCKET, So what is the real deal on the Sharks?  How many were made and did any survive ? If not what happened to them? 

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 09:36:46 PM »
From what I got out of meeting the people who made and rode the sharks is 3 of each and after the last race the sleds were loaded up in a tractor trailer and were never seen again.  Those involved were wondered if the Sharks were sitting in a trailer in a warehouse in Nebraska some place??  A lot of room for debate here but hearing it from those who were involved makes it more believable.  The picture is signatures of who were at the banquet.  Greg can correct where needed.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 09:49:39 PM by Interceptor398 »

750-h2

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 09:53:18 PM »
Very interesting. One can only hope that the Sharks were not destroyed. Hopefully someday they will surface just like the Alouette  Twin Tracks did!

rminier

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 08:12:57 AM »
 Here is an interesting read on the Sharks that I borrowed from a member on here from his website:

https://www.torysvintagesleds.com/kawasaki-shark.html
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

sprocket

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 06:21:28 AM »
What's the deal lol the people that raced, worked & afillated with them said they made 6 total 1/2 way through the season they took 5 of the 6 and made IFS out of them. The only leafer was a 340. They said they over spent on these sleds when Jac Villenue was leading at the Viking speedway in Alexandria Mn 1977 their hopes fell short because of fuel they figured 50-100' from the finish line. After the race the upper management said load the sleds in the trailer we're done. One of the guys thought maybe Nebraska where the others thought maybe somewhere else. They said though they were right there in oval racing. Jac  mechanic was his brother Gilies, Greggs  mechanic was Richard. They explained what they used to build those chassis including engines they said nothing was steel it was either titanium or aluminum. The person that designed the hood was from Japan and made a clay hood. There were pictures of this at Waconia it was really neat to see. They talked about x country and Jac said no way was he riding through rough terrain so that didn't happen. I know of another guy that would've raced for Kawasaki that year but Kawasaki said must be 18yrs old to compete ( I actually know this guy ). There was a lot of information said when we talked.

750-h2

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 02:21:50 PM »
Sprocket, that was great info. Really surprised to hear that Jacques mechanic was his big brother the legendary Gilles Villeneuve!

sprocket

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 05:32:08 PM »
The facts of the sharks buried in Shakopee,Mn is false what was buried there was other chassis, engines etc. but they said that all got hauled in to a dump because the state of Mn didn't allow that there. It was cool talking with them they said my sled was close but not the "real deal" if I wanted to get it closer it wouldn't take much. When I first talked with some of them it was hard to explain myself that I'm just a welder & just wanted to race something different then the other 4-5 brands that are out there today in vintage.
I got their attention & told them about this website along with a few others I could only find pictures of my build on rampages garage.com, Richard was amazed at the work I put into the 2nd build that he said Gregg needs to see this when Gregg and a few others sat there looking through the pictures they just couldn't believe it. More stories were told Bob & I laughed when they said their first test was on lake Vermillion, Mn colder than a sumobitch Richard stated when they left Shakopee it was ok in temperature then getting to where they needed to be nobody wanted to test it was that cold out. Jac & Gilles both came from Skiroule they both explained the IFS concept of them how the handling can be night n day  especially on a rough terrain track most of their competition had pattens and copy rights on the IFS so they design something totally different. They said USSA sanction body stated if a company that was coming into Sno Pro they had to build a consumer snowmobiles for the public at that time it was 500-600 snowmobiles per class those guys talked what worked  and what didn't. It's kind of hard to sit here and write about all what they said I spent over 2hrs on Sunday with them and Friday well probably another good hour. I missed out on the poster signing but I got a appreciation plaque so I had them sign that instead. I can't thank enough people that got these individuals from Kawasaki to go to Waconia,Mn for a vintage snowmobile show it was unbelievable to talk with these people down to earth.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 09:11:18 AM »
Nice sleds!!