Author Topic: Clutch Engagement  (Read 3329 times)

qtband

Clutch Engagement
« on: July 30, 2017, 01:38:06 PM »
I have this clutch on my Kawasaki 440. I would like it to engage at a lower RPM than it does now (around 4000 RPM).  Are there different springs that I could choose from to accomplish this?
Ken

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: Clutch Engagement
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 09:19:01 PM »
Welcome to the site!!  Have you cleaned the clutch by taking it apart and inspecting the moving parts?  Kawasaki made springs for the different engagement speeds.  I will find the info and report back unless someone beets me to it.

qtband

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 07:55:55 AM »
I was hoping they did.  Looking forward to more information!  Thanks!

gixxer6

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 10:32:19 AM »
What sled is it?  Invader?  Intruder?  Drifter?  What color spring is in it now?  What ramps are installed? 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 10:06:28 PM by gixxer6 »

rminier

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 04:00:49 PM »
 It looks like gixxer6 suffered from a dreaded case of Auto spell correct above... ::) I haven't come across any insane ramps, but send some to me, Tom...lol  ;)
But it would be helpful to know what sled and what clutch parts you have.
 The pictures below are from my Invader shop manual. The 1st pic shows the variety of springs available..from softest to firmest....pink, red, yellow, blue, black.
 The 2nd pic shows another way that the weights on the ramps can be changed to alter the shifting.
 As Interceptor 398 mentioned, the clutches may need a good cleaning, (both drive and driven) or the bushings are getting worn....whatever, there is a lot of good info on here to help you through this.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 05:26:40 PM by rminier »
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 07:32:55 PM »
I'm IMPRESSED that our new member is working on a sled in July!!!

gixxer6

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 10:09:09 PM »
It looks like gixxer6 suffered from a dreaded case of Auto spell correct above... ::) I haven't come across any insane ramps, but send some to me, Tom...lol  ;)
But it would be helpful to know what sled and what clutch parts you have.
 The pictures below are from my Invader shop manual. The 1st pic shows the variety of springs available..from softest to firmest....pink, red, yellow, blue, black.
 The 2nd pic shows another way that the weights on the ramps can be changed to alter the shifting.
 As Interceptor 398 mentioned, the clutches may need a good cleaning, (both drive and driven) or the bushings are getting worn....whatever, there is a lot of good info on here to help you through this.

Huh???  Are you insane?  I don't know what you are talking about... 

Ok, ok, you are not crazy, I fixed it.  :)