Author Topic: Need Help please, cant get clutch off  (Read 2620 times)

mikesnowman

Need Help please, cant get clutch off
« on: December 15, 2017, 07:03:15 PM »
Ok , I am stumped and don't want to break anything. I just got a 79 invader 440 and am going to replace the crank seals for good measure. I have worked on sleds forever, but I cant figure a way to hold the primary still so I can get the bolt out let alone start a puller what the secret?

Boomologist

• Administrator
Re: Need Help please, cant get clutch off
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 07:22:01 PM »
Been there done that.
I wrap a cargo strap around the outside of the clutch and tighten it down. Then stack some foot long pieces of  2x4 in the belly pan under the clutch. as the clutch spins the hardware on the strap will stop on the boards and should hold the clutch.
It's also nice if you have an impact gun. Usually don't need to hold the clutch to get the bolt out..
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 07:25:53 PM by Boomologist »

Boomologist

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 07:31:32 PM »
Oh, and be sure you're turning the bolt the right way.
Also, it's impossible to remove the clutch without the proper puller.

rminier

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 09:57:24 PM »
 All good points by Boomologist.... one more tip: Put some grease or Never-Seize on the threads AND the end of the clutch puller to minimize the torque effort required to pop the clutch off the crank.
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

mikesnowman

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 07:38:36 AM »
Thanks all.  I have removed clutches hundreds of times but never like this. The most difficult was an old Arctic zr600. Ended up turning it on its side, filling hole with water, putting teflon tape on puller and tightening and letting it freeze overnight. was off in the morning..hope this one is not like that cause
 its 50 degrees.

Boomologist

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 11:30:09 AM »
I did have one clutch that I couldn't get off. Tried impact, a little heat, PB Blaster....everything I could think of.
I ended up very carefully using a right angle grinder and cutoff wheels. I took it apart in chunks until I got to the center where I very carefully cut a slit in the collar and split it with a chisel. Then I discovered why they shouldn't sell loc tight to just anyone.

Boomologist

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 11:35:52 AM »
Never tried this but if you're looking for some real cold try a couple cans of compressed air. It can be used to shatter locks. Just search "how to freeze a lock off".