Author Topic: Invader low end bog and now won’t run  (Read 7147 times)

Vader19

Invader low end bog and now won’t run
« on: January 08, 2018, 07:03:49 AM »
Good morning everyone, I am more to the site and new to Kawasaki sleds in general. I was real happy to find a site like this dedicated to these sleds, as I can see there is a lot of good information.

I looked through some of the old posts and find a situation similar to what I am experiencing from a few years ago but there was no post saying the problem was solved.  I am going to start going through some of the suggestions but I was just curious if there was a definitive way to tell that there is a bad crank seal?  As I mention in the title the sled would start and idle but as throttle was given the sled big and sputter but if I feathered the throttle it would work through this and seemed to run fine would until I stopped and I would have to feather the throttle again to get moving.  Now the sled will not run at all.  The guy I bought it from  appears to have replaced all of the fuels lines and said he put a new pump on it.

Thanks for any help

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: Invader low end bog and now won’t run
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 07:48:26 AM »
Welcome to the site!

I would start with making sure the gas tank is clean and the pick up line in the tank is good plus the filter on the end of the line is there to hold the line on the bottom of the tank. Next in line is the enricher, they can suck air and cause similar problems.  There is a leak down test where you plug the exhaust and intake and put 10 pounds of air and wait a while to see how fast the pressure drops.  It's a little monkeying around but easier than pulling the motor.  How much the of the sleds maintenance history do you know of?

Vader19

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 09:14:38 AM »
All I know is what the kid I bought if from told me and that was the lines and pump were changed.  I am going to need a new tank as the top was apparently cracked and when I tightened the cap I broke a big chunk off which might also be contributing to a fuel flow issue.  I will plan on pulling the tank so I can dump it out as well as check all of the other lines/filter.  So does a low end bog sound like a crank seal issue I really thought it was just a fuel issue.

Thanks

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 02:20:43 PM »
Could be seals but do the simple stuff first.

Boomologist

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 02:48:22 PM »
First, check to see if you have spark to both plugs. If no spark check the emergency shutoff switch if it has one. There's been a few times that I wore out my arm trying to start a sled only to discover the switch got bumped to off.
If plugs have fouled out, don't spark or look dirty replace them. A plug may show spark when in the air but fail under compression.

Then I would rule out a fuel issue.
Fresh fuel?
Does your sled have oil injection and is it also running pre-mix?
Is the airbox in place?
Is there a fuel filter that's dirty?
Water/dirt in the tank? Is the screen on the end of the pickup tube plugged?
Any fuel lines kinked or pinched?
Verify that the pump and lines are new and correct.
After installing new plugs and running for a short time, what color is the insulator?
This should give you a direction to go.

Vader19

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 07:21:24 PM »
Didn’t check for spark but the rubber hose is no longer attached to the tank and there is all kinds of crap floating around in the tank.  Which nozzle is the hose supposed to be attached too, left or right?

Boomologist

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 08:03:21 PM »
If there is stuff floating around in the fuel tank the problem is most likely something plugged up. I do hope there is a filter in the system.
Is the pickup tube still inside the tank?
Are the hoses new?
Which hose came off?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 08:06:38 PM by Boomologist »

Vader19

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 08:14:33 PM »
There is an inline filter and I do not see anything that resembles a hose that n the tank.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 07:25:01 PM »
There is an inline filter and I do not see anything that resembles a hose that n the tank.

I wish I could find the picture of what I found in a new to me 81 440 Drifter.  Long story short is was just a floating glob of goo that was formerly know as the pick up line in the gas tank.  This gas we have these days eats the plastic from a few years ago.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 08:02:16 PM »
Found it.

Vader19

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 12:18:02 AM »
I pulled the tank off of it today and dumped out what was left in the bottom and to say the gas was dirty would be an under statement.  I flushed the tank a couple of times so I think I got the tank fairly clean.  I have a filler neck repair kit coming from Image so when that gets here I will replace that and reassemble the tank and pickup line.  The inline filter also looks pretty nasty so I will replace that.  Once back together and filled with new gas some of the low end bog should go away, fingers crossed.  I did check compression and both holes are near 150 psi. 

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 09:52:55 AM »
A good clean tank and fresh gas is where I start with a new to me sled.  Good luck!!

Vader19

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 02:48:13 PM »
So I got everything back together with the new filler neck and all new lines and filter and the sled will fire but only when I give it two or three pumps on the primer.  It acted like it wanted to run but seemed to use up the fuel I primed and that was it.  Then to top it all off I broke the pull cord.

jimvw57

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 03:35:50 PM »
Kind of late to the party, but the fuel pump won't pump if the check valve in the pump doesn't work. I would guess this isn't the problem as it worked before, but if the pulse line from the bottom of the motor is leaking, it won't supply fuel, and if the inlet from the tank has any air leaks, it won't draw gas.
You need to find out if the gas is getting to the fuel pump, and then if it is getting to the carbs. sounds like it might be a fuel pump issue or a needle and seat issue.  Easy to get the lines mixed up on the fuel pump.

Boomologist

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 11:56:45 PM »
Hope this helps