Author Topic: Invader water pumps  (Read 4672 times)

nick80lf

Invader water pumps
« on: December 26, 2012, 09:30:18 PM »
Hello all,

This is my first post on this site.  I have a few John Deere Liquifires (similar motor to the Invader) and have been trying to locate the mechanical seal used in the water pump.  I was wondering if anyone here has a source for this seal? 
The OD of the metal cup is 30mm and the water pump shaft is 12.7mm (1/2”). 
The OD of the counter bore in the Impeller is 24mm.  I haven’t tried to remove the ceramic disc (afraid of breaking it) to measure the depth.

Thanks

john.0_o

Re: Invader water pumps
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 10:36:35 PM »
Hi Nick,
I replaced the mechanical seal and bearings on my water pump.I could not find one with the proper cup but unless you destroyed yours you can reuse it and just replace the actual seal.It is a .5" mechanical seal.This should fit using your cup McMaster 9281K144 or you can try this one 9281K84 but I'm not sure the cup would fit and I feel they have made a mistake on the working length.Maybe call them and tell  them what you need.
I don't remember offhand the bearing numbers but they are dime a dozen sealed bearings.
Pry the seat out with a pick or small screwdriver,working your way around,it wont break.
If you do come up with a part with fitting cup please do post part number and source.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#mechanical-seals/=krosws  go to pump shaft seals

Unfortunately I either did not measure,or forgot to record the seat depth but these are a few of the measurements I got.
I have lots of photos of all the parts with measurements if you need them(minus seat depth).

Seat bore 1"
shaft .5"
cup bore 1.176''
cup diameter 1.182''
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:40:08 PM by john.0_o »
John

nick80lf

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
Unfortunately I did destroy the cup.  Today I was wondering if a standard 1/2 seal would work with this cup if I wouldn't have destroyed it.  Thanks for confirming this.

I have found the correct seal listed on several Chinese manufacturer's web sites, but I have some serious concerns about trying to buy directly from them.  Here is one of the companies that shows a listing for them.

http://www.nbseal.com/automotive-pump-seals/automotive-pump-seals-tpsb2.html

TPSB2-1/2" looks to be correct.

I've also been wondering if Kawasaki 49063-1055 (seal for motorcycle water pump) is the same size but I haven't been able to find the dimensions of this seal.  The original bearings were NTN 6200 AZ.  If I locate a new one I'll let you guys know.

Thanks

quadgoat

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 05:39:17 PM »
I can't give you much help on the seals, but I can give you another option to consider if you don't get a better answer.

I sent one of my water pumps out to Tony at The Flying Dutchman water pump re-manufacturing: http://www.fdrbp.com/

He was awesome to deal with and did a great job rebuilding my pump. The one on my sled and an allegedly good used pump I bought both leaked. No leaks after Tony worked his magic with my pump!

Good luck whatever you end up doing!!

-Paul
1979 Kawasaki Invader 440 (10,000+ miles, but she wears them well!)
1980 (or maybe '79?) Kawasaki Drifter 440 (My first sled, and I still own it!)