Author Topic: Suspension brackets cracked - question  (Read 1781 times)

DarthInvader

Suspension brackets cracked - question
« on: August 28, 2018, 11:32:47 PM »
So, picked up a beautiful 1979 Invader last year.  Rear suspension seemed seized. 

When apart, the rear shock appeared to be 90% seized.  Reassembled with a new gas shock, and the new combination still seems nearly impossible to compress manually (very stiff), when out of the skid. 

Additionally, my rear triangular suspension brackets were cracked along their flanges, where they wrap around and mount to the aluminum slide rails.  I had them all welded up and painted, and am ready to reinstall.  My question is this. 

Is this a common failure?  Also, I think my spring is the HD spring (92081-3524).  Would the suspension be better off, and see less stress/strain, using the standard duty coil spring (92081-3524)?  Or is there a better choice for spring that people use? 

Thanks so much!  Very new to the Kawi sled world!! :)

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 11:40:56 PM by DarthInvader »

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: Suspension brackets cracked - question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 07:31:02 AM »
Welcome to the site! Brackets cracking there is not un common.  Unless you are a really big guy the heavy duty spring should not be needed.  Be sure to lube the cross shafts before installing the suspension.  More guys will pipe in on this with some good advise.

gixxer6

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 08:18:53 AM »
It won't hurt anything on the sled to run the heavy spring, but unless running 300lbs worth of riders you will not be happy with the ride.  It will be REALLY rough. 

Let me know if you need a standard spring, I think I have a couple extra. 

DarthInvader

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 08:23:17 AM »
Thanks for the info guys!  Gixxer, I might be interested in buying a stock spring from ya.  I agree it's probably the right way to go.

:)

gixxer6

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 06:23:36 PM »
Ok, pm me if you want one