Author Topic: Anyone ever do any re-chroming of rusted chrome parts?  (Read 1354 times)

mswyka

Anyone ever do any re-chroming of rusted chrome parts?
« on: September 28, 2018, 06:38:43 PM »
I am looking at this snowmobile and there are  some chrome decorations.  Well, maybe they are more than decoration.  But the chrome is rusted and I am thinking about possibly having it re-chromed.  Interested to know if anyone has had any experience re-chroming parts other than cylinders.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

gixxer6

Re: Anyone ever do any re-chroming of rusted chrome parts?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 06:37:03 AM »
I’ve never had anything rechromed, but my local powder coater has some powder coat called “Ultra-Chrome” you REALLY have to look closely to tell it’s not really chrome.  Maybe not quite as durable as actual chrome?  But for me it would be a fraction of the cost over sending something out for chrome. 

sprocket

Re: Anyone ever do any re-chroming of rusted chrome parts?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 08:28:21 AM »
I looked into this just recently what the chroming shops don't want is something that will  contaminate their tanks and rust is one of them. I was told to have it powder coated or painted or make new then polish it because any imperfections the chrome will show it. The best bet is to call someone that does chroming and ask questions.