Author Topic: Options  (Read 4268 times)

Vader440

Options
« on: October 21, 2018, 02:14:53 PM »
Why all the different chain and sprocket options?

rminier

Re: Options
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 09:39:53 AM »
 The variety of gears has a little to do with the same chaincase being used by a variety of Kawi models with different horsepower and different potential for top speed.......Intruder, 340 Invader, 440 Invader, LTD's, Interceptor.
 The factory shop manuals show the stock gearing.
  I can't remember the actual gears, but I remember the 340 Invader had a "theoretical" top speed of 79 MPH with the clutches at .96 overdrive (fully shifted out) and the engine running at 8000 RPM. The 440 was geared to hit 88 MPH with the same conditions.
A very well set up 440 in ideal conditions has certainly achieved 90 MPH.
 My 1st Invader that I bought in 1982 had a couple tweaks done by the original owner.
One of the changes was a gear change that showed a bit quicker gearing....the chart in the manual showed it would have a "theoretical" top speed of 84 MPH.
 I completely agreed with this change.....I might give up a little on top end, but normal riding on trails, etc. I would have a little quicker acceleration. I just don't have any area near me where I could safely try to get to 90 MPH. Certainly if you were participating in a radar run on a frozen lake, you would want the taller gearing. A lot of sleds use a chain tensioner that you can adjust with a bolt and locknut mounted on the chaincase.
 The Kawi's use those plastic pucks and tensioner spring. Changing the gears often requires changing that tensioner spring, and sometimes the chain length to accommodate the change in size of the gears....the factory shop manual shows exactly the proper chain and tensioner spring to use with the various gearing.
 The 1982 Interceptor is a perfect example....it won the 1982 SnowGoer shootout. It smoked every other sled in the 1/8 mile....the SkiDoo Blizzard 9500 actually crept by it once the sleds reached top speed. Similar weight sleds...similar horsepower.
 Strictly a function of gearing...an Interceptor owner could have changed the gearing to gain 3-4 MPH on top end if their "thing" was lake racing....or the Blizzard owner could have dropped the gearing in his sled to gain a little quicker acceleration.
 You have to choose...you can't maximize both acceleration and top speed.
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 11:36:06 AM »
Good answer!

Vader440

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 05:57:54 PM »
I think I'll just stick with the stock set up. I thought I was reading an article out of Snowgoer magazine. Very well explained. Thank you!  :)

gixxer6

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 12:18:43 PM »
The variety of gears has a little to do with the same chaincase being used by a variety of Kawi models with different horsepower and different potential for top speed.......Intruder, 340 Invader, 440 Invader, LTD's, Interceptor.
 The factory shop manuals show the stock gearing.
  I can't remember the actual gears, but I remember the 340 Invader had a "theoretical" top speed of 79 MPH with the clutches at .96 overdrive (fully shifted out) and the engine running at 8000 RPM. The 440 was geared to hit 88 MPH with the same conditions.
A very well set up 440 in ideal conditions has certainly achieved 90 MPH.
 My 1st Invader that I bought in 1982 had a couple tweaks done by the original owner.
One of the changes was a gear change that showed a bit quicker gearing....the chart in the manual showed it would have a "theoretical" top speed of 84 MPH.
 I completely agreed with this change.....I might give up a little on top end, but normal riding on trails, etc. I would have a little quicker acceleration. I just don't have any area near me where I could safely try to get to 90 MPH. Certainly if you were participating in a radar run on a frozen lake, you would want the taller gearing. A lot of sleds use a chain tensioner that you can adjust with a bolt and locknut mounted on the chaincase.
 The Kawi's use those plastic pucks and tensioner spring. Changing the gears often requires changing that tensioner spring, and sometimes the chain length to accommodate the change in size of the gears....the factory shop manual shows exactly the proper chain and tensioner spring to use with the various gearing.
 The 1982 Interceptor is a perfect example....it won the 1982 SnowGoer shootout. It smoked every other sled in the 1/8 mile....the SkiDoo Blizzard 9500 actually crept by it once the sleds reached top speed. Similar weight sleds...similar horsepower.
 Strictly a function of gearing...an Interceptor owner could have changed the gearing to gain 3-4 MPH on top end if their "thing" was lake racing....or the Blizzard owner could have dropped the gearing in his sled to gain a little quicker acceleration.
 You have to choose...you can't maximize both acceleration and top speed.

I agree, very well written!  There is one mistake however...The Blizzard owner would've needed to RAISE the gearing to gain quicker acceleration.  I know, it's counter-intuitive, but it's true!.  "Looking for more top-end speed? A lower gear ratio will provide it, but low-end grunt might suffer. On the flip side, a higher gear ratio in the chaincase will reduce top-end speed but provide quicker acceleration."

https://snowgoer.com/snowmobile-tech-tips/snowmobile-tips/snowmobile-tech-tip-snowmobile-chaincase-gearing/2205/
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:27:10 PM by gixxer6 »

DarthInvader

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 11:43:18 PM »
Pretty hard to get faster acceleration out of an Invader with the OEM track.  Might as well gear them for top end!!

:) ;)

gixxer6

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 08:58:11 AM »
Installing a better track in my 81 Invader was by far the best modification I have ever made to a Kawasaki. 

Vader440

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 06:03:16 PM »
What kind of track did you go with?

gixxer6

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 12:14:48 PM »
Camoplast 1” Hacksaw, more power does you no good if you can’t connect it to the snow! 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 12:16:40 PM by gixxer6 »

Vader440

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 06:11:51 PM »
Did you have to change anything to make it work or does it go right in?

gixxer6

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 06:40:21 AM »
On my 79 it was fairly simple, just needed to space the rear outer wheels out further, I used a longer shaft and some spacers.  The idler wheels on the drive axel also need to be spaced further out, hose clamps work nicely for this. 

My 81 with the Var-Ride skid was more involved...

Vader440

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 01:55:10 PM »
Thanks for the info!  :)

Vader440

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 06:58:09 PM »
I didn't know if I should start another topic on this or not so I'll just ask the question here. Will the Carbs off a 440 air cooled intruder work on a 440 liquid cooled invader?

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 09:03:50 PM »
It will run but not as good as it can.

Vader440

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 08:17:56 AM »
Okay, Thank you!