Author Topic: 79 340 Drifter  (Read 2724 times)

JBenner80

79 340 Drifter
« on: January 31, 2019, 07:59:39 AM »
I am headed ice fishing next weekend an typically I would take my wheeler but this year conditions don't allow for that.  So I've decided to pull my childhood sled out of the garage and get to work.  Low and behold its a 1979 Drifter 340.  I was always told it was an 80.  So I have had this sled for 25 years give or take and haven't run it in at least 8-10 years.  It has always been stored inside and I remember draining the gas out of it 6 or so years ago because I was going to restore it but never got around to it.  So Monday I pulled the carb and gave it a good cleaning, put a new set of plugs in, checked the exhaust and air box for rodents and gave the ole girl some new gas.  Few pumps of the primer and 3 pulls later she fired right up.  Woke up the next morning to gas in my garage so it now has all new fuel lines as well.  This site has been great over the past few days reading through some of the threads so thanks.  Pictures and questions to follow over the coming days/weeks.  I have decided to do a resto on it and paint it back to original.  The sled has 1200 original miles so I'm in hopes the motor will last a while without a rebuild.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: 79 340 Drifter
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 08:35:45 AM »
Great sleds and good luck fishing.  One thing to remember is all the engine seals are very old.

JBenner80

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 12:36:46 PM »
Interceptor398 you think I should put a gasket and seal kit in it before the trip?  Would there be any signs of failure or just catastrophic failure?  I did use a scope camera and the pistons and walls look really good.  No scarring or signs of ware to speak of.  What would you suggest for chain oil and how do I know I have enough.  Unfortunately I have no manuals for the sled yet.  Thanks.

gixxer6

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 01:10:23 PM »
With crank seals there can be zero sign of failure, then catastrophic failure.  Or, there can be a long list of signs, idle problems, lean running, bogging, fuel pump not working or inconsistent, etc.  I would suggest replacing them. 

If you google "Kawasaki Snowmobile Manuals" you will find some pdf's available on other sites. 

Good luck! 

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 11:09:20 AM »
Interceptor398 you think I should put a gasket and seal kit in it before the trip?  Would there be any signs of failure or just catastrophic failure?  I did use a scope camera and the pistons and walls look really good.  No scarring or signs of ware to speak of.  What would you suggest for chain oil and how do I know I have enough.  Unfortunately I have no manuals for the sled yet.  Thanks.

If it were mine and it starts easy, idles and runs good I would take the trip but be easy on it.  As soon as time permits it get new seals.

JBenner80

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 05:07:47 PM »
Starts runs and idles absolutely fine.  No troubles with pull start either actually starts alot easier than I remember.  But I am 25 years older haha.  Drove it a mile yesterday just to try it out for a few minute.  Thanks for the advice I will change them as soon as it is feasible.