Author Topic: Invader wont idle  (Read 5620 times)

The Great Jashu

Invader wont idle
« on: December 29, 2012, 04:23:55 PM »
My 80 Invader is giving me some problems. It has been a good sled and my best one up to last year when it started running poorly. I pulled the motor and had the crank seals replaced. Replaced all fuel lines. Just put it back in today and same problem.
I have a couple ideas where the problem could be. The enricher cable broke on one side last winter and I replaced it with one from a 340 Invader, but did not replace the parts. Just moved the 340 cable with the "nipples" attached over to the 440. The ends seem to be the same. Do I need to put the other ends on the cables? I know they are different carbs, but everything seemed the same.

The other thing I noticed is before I put the secondary back on, I could see the fuel pump and all the lines. It looked like I could see some liquid in the pulse line. But, it was not leaking into it without the motor running. Can I rebuild that Invader pump?

It starts right up with a shot of fuel from the primer, but wont stay running without the enricher in the mid position and a little throttle. It seems to bog too. Just the primary clutch is on right now until I get this thing sorted out.

Any help is appreciated.

The Great Jashu

Re: Invader wont idle
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 06:59:59 PM »
Forget helping me... I know what the problem is now. It kept dropping the left side cylinder. Compression test shows 90 psi in that cylinder. It was showing 120 before I took it in to get the crank seals done. It would have been easier to change the cylinder on the bench. I will pull the head and see whats  there monday.  :'(

jimvw57

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 09:16:30 PM »
How could we forget helping you???  does sound like you found a problem... don't overlook balancing carbs when you get everything sorted out.

The Great Jashu

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 06:50:32 AM »
Jim- Is 90-100psi too low for it to run right? Should I try a different carb on that side before replacing rings?

jimvw57

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 08:37:46 AM »
Anything under 100 psi is in need of repair. also readings between the cylinders should be within 10%  at 120, I would have left it alone but 90 needs some attention.

Assuming your gauge is working ok, and you had the throttle blocked open for the reading, did they remove  the heads or cylinders? really don't need to on a crank seal job.

You could try swapping carbs but it shouldn't matter with low compression. Maybe a stuck ring?? or a leaking head gasket?

The Great Jashu

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 12:16:29 PM »
No the cylinders did not come off for the crank seals. The guy that did it knows what he is doing with them and had a vintage sled salvage yard. He knew the Kawasaki motor well and owned a few of his own.

I think my guage reads low. My other Invader only shows 110 on both sides and runs great. My fear is when I put the motor back in, the carb was lean and scratched up the cylinder. I ran some premix gas in it so when I used the primer it had oil in it.

I need to have the throttle open to do a compression test?

Lloyd (ljm)

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 12:36:25 PM »
 Throttle open or closed can be debated. In my head open is better But i have checked both ways and got the same reading

77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres

jimvw57

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 12:30:39 AM »
Every manual I have seen recommends blocking the throttle wide open to get an accurate reading. My experiences have shown me that you can get a higher reading by wide open throttle, and I usually pull it over until the gauge quits climbing. I have run across gauges that have read low so it isn't a bad idea to get a second reading off another gauge.

done a few motors over the years...

The Great Jashu

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 03:27:10 PM »
Good News! Thanks to all your help along with reading other posts, its up and rockin'. Seems my guage does read low. Re-tourqed the head bolts, and re-tested the compression with the throttle open and pulled it until the guage quit rining. 120 a side! So, no tear down needed. with good spark the only thing left is the left side carb. Pulled that carb again and gave a wicked cleaning. Soaked the jets and carb in cleaner for about an hour. Put it all back together and she starts the first pull and runs on both sides!!! Drop the enrichers and she idles like a dream. Put the airbox back on along with the secondary and belt. Took it for a little buzz around the yard and it rocked! Runs great now. Just need more snow. Now that I know how to really clean a carb, the two on the other sled will get cleaned this week too. :)
Thanks for all the help!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 03:29:52 PM by The Great Jashu »

jimvw57

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 04:16:08 PM »
 8) 8) 8). Now get out there and ride!! You earned it