Author Topic: Intruder Still Wont Stay Running  (Read 3561 times)

Metalman

Intruder Still Wont Stay Running
« on: December 29, 2012, 04:48:31 PM »
I just rebuilt the fuel pump, the fuel lines are now full of fuel but it wont stay running. It starts right up but will only stay running if I hit the primer a couple of times. I changed the plugs and that seemed to help a little but then when back to the same problem. Doesn't matter if it's warm or cold the problem is consistent. I think I will pull the carbs again and see if I missed something that is plugged.   The thing is going to drive me nuts! :)

Trucker

Re: Intruder Still Wont Stay Running
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 06:02:49 PM »
Keep looking at the simple things you will figure it out.

The Great Jashu

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 07:01:08 PM »
Welcome to the club......

jimvw57

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 09:12:58 PM »
Do the plugs look fouled or wet??  maybe the oil pump is putting out too much oil(?) too much oil wil make the motor run lean (not enough gas)

Hate to even bring it up but you are using fresh gas  and not gas that has been sitting around too long.. and then there is that crank seals thing...

my first guess would be seals, then carbs..

Metalman

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 10:31:59 AM »
I got it running this morning! :) I had previously put new pistons and crank seals in this. I was going by the repair manual recommendations of running a premix of 40:1 as well as the injectors after a complete tear down. I drained the premix out this morning and put regular gas in it. It started right up and I took it out for about 15 minutes.
It does have a bit of a low end bog to it but seemed to get better the more I rode it. Going to check the head torque now since this is the first time it has been out since tear down, Also going to go through and clean carbs again, put new fuel lines and clamp the pulse line and see what happens.
 My wife is going to be thrilled if one of these things actually runs! :)

Trucker

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 11:36:18 AM »
sync the carbs and give it a bit to break in the rings it might improve. Alot of bog can be because of worn belt and worn clutch parts too so keep that in mind.

jimvw57

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 11:40:01 AM »
low end bog is pretty common and tough to find. Could be a low idle, dirty clutch, worn belt, carbs,  etc.

I would start by balancing the carbs. If one side opens before the other, it bogs down.

Clean out the clutch, spray it down inside where the weights are with carb cleaner. They are supposed to be dry (no lubricant in there)  and clean the surfaces where the belt rides (also should be dry)

Set the idle to where it is just below where the clutch moves in to grab the belt.

The manual written in the 80's was for oil that was not as thick as it is nowdays. The new oil used for injection does a much better job than it used to. the idea behind using premix and injector is to make sure there are no air bubbles in the lines.  but it makes them run poorly.

** the manual says to run premix at 25:1 for the first 3 gal of gas (not 40:1)of Kawasaki oil My guess is Kawi oil is probably diluted for better mixing with gas **

Glad you got it going!!

Trucker, you beat me to this post! you are still the Kawi Guru!!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 11:57:00 AM by jimvw57 »