Author Topic: Battery for electric start  (Read 4936 times)

jimvw57

Battery for electric start
« on: December 29, 2012, 06:09:45 PM »
A year and a half ago I picked up a battery for my Intruder. Worked fine the few times I started it last winter. This winter I charged it nice and slow, but it doesn't hold a good enough charge after a few days to start the sled.  Even tried with the battery disconnected while it was sitting on the trailer.

Never had this problem with my GoldWing, even when it sat all winter. Any suggestions for a better battery this time around?? I would think it should last longer than a year...

Luckily it starts up pretty well with the recoil, and the battery still helps regulate the charging system
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 06:11:25 PM by jimvw57 »

gixxer6

Re: Battery for electric start
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 09:50:17 PM »
I have had several bikes, atvs, lawntractors, over the years with batteries.  I buy the cheapest battery possible, and put a battery tender on it in the off season. 

jimvw57

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 11:03:56 PM »
Battery I got was a gel cell, a bit bigger than needed but now it doesn't want to hold a charge. Should I be going with a regular lead acid  wet cell??

jimvw57

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 12:05:25 PM »
Took it back down to the place I got it from and they are going to try desufating it and load testing tomorrow (didn't think an AGM battery would sulfate) so we'll see what happens.

Have never had an issue with my jump start battery and it has been good for about 4 years now, only been charged twice..

No sled riding until the battery is back installed   ;)
Sled starts fine on the jump battery.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 09:32:42 AM »
My 82 Intruder has a brake light staying on issue.  The little plastic plate on the brake lever housing has bowed and the brake light thinks it need to be on all the time. Killed the battery that's in the sled now.  Check your brake light when the sled is turned off.

jimvw57

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 10:31:15 AM »
Thanks, but the battery was loosing 1/4 volt per day while saitting on the desk with nothing plugged in. Good idea about the brake light

jimvw57

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 12:01:11 PM »
Took the battery down to where I purchased it and it tested as bad. wouldn't hold a charge. The only battery they had to replace it also tested as bad. Of course it was beyond the warranty period, and they no longer carry them..

so I picked up an AGM battery at O'Reileys auto parts, put it in place and it spins right over.  NOW I should be set for WACONIA!! 2 sleds running and snow on the ground, I hear there is around 10 inches of ice so far on the lake...