Author Topic: First Post and First Kawasaki  (Read 2824 times)

polarisbrian

First Post and First Kawasaki
« on: January 11, 2020, 06:58:47 AM »
I just picked up my first Kawasaki 1979 Invader 440. Runs great and much quicker than I expected. The only thing wrong is the key is broken off inside the ignition.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 08:34:45 AM by polarisbrian »

gixxer6

Re: First Post and First Kawasaki
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 07:39:00 AM »
Welcome to the site!  Looks like a 78 or 79 Invader, GREAT sled...

mswyka

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 09:34:32 AM »
Congratulations and welcome.  She looks to be in great shape.

The key switch is pretty easy to replace.  Or,  once you take the old switch out, there is number stamped into the collar of the switch assembly.  You can match a replacement key by that number.  There  seem to still be a good number of spare Kawasaki keys floating around.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 10:16:14 AM »
Welcome to the site!!  On good hard pack that sled will give you a smirk that can last for days!!!

mswyka

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 10:18:12 AM »
Do you have any idea when the crank seals were changed last?
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

polarisbrian

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 11:19:52 AM »
Congratulations and welcome.  She looks to be in great shape.

The key switch is pretty easy to replace.  Or,  once you take the old switch out, there is number stamped into the collar of the switch assembly.  You can match a replacement key by that number.  There  seem to still be a good number of spare Kawasaki keys floating around.

I ordered a new ignition w/ key through Dennis Kirk.  I don't know when crank seals were last replaced. It had not run in about 4 years prior to Wednesday. It has 2200 original miles. Thankfully it came with a parts sled should I break anything.

Checkmarks

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 02:40:28 PM »
Great running sleds that is for certain!  We assume you already ran the sled.  Be very careful with that thumb trigger until you know that the seals are replaced and ran (lubricated) annually.  Synthetic oil evaporates and does not leave a protective film potential for beginning of rust that takes out the bearing on the connecting rods. 

Always blame the seals first if it takes more than two or three pulls to start.  Too many rules to ensure the seas are good...  Replacing takes on the order of 2hrs after you learn the language of K. A rookie might take a weekend.

Boomologist

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 05:40:15 PM »
[quote Synthetic oil evaporates and does not leave a protective film potential for beginning of rust that takes out the bearing on the connecting rods. 
[/quote]
From what I understand synthetic oil is still made from crude oil but is refined better and has different additives. I always thought it was basically the same but even better than standard oils. If it evaporates I would like to know more because I did run it in some vehicles and I may have a problem. How long after use until I need to worry about evaporation?

gixxer6

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 06:08:51 PM »
I did a google search and every site I opened said that synthetic oil does not evaporate as quick as conventional oil, and as far as not leaving a residue...You should see my fully synthetic Klotz jug in the garage, the side is caked with a sticky thick residue even with my best efforts of wiping it off! 

But Checkmarks point is spot on, change them crank seals!