Author Topic: Reducing throttle pull?  (Read 2138 times)

gixxer6

Reducing throttle pull?
« on: April 02, 2020, 09:36:39 AM »
My 81 Invader 440 seems to have a large amount of throttle pull, my thumb gets tired and sore quickly.  I have lubed the cables and switched to the lighter aluminum slides.  I have carbs synced and everything adjusted as it should be. 

I'm looking for tips or ideas to help reduce throttle pull.  Anyone ever use different slide springs?  Or cut them shorter?  Other ideas? 

Thanks! 

mswyka

Re: Reducing throttle pull?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 04:31:23 PM »
We have an Intruder that seems to have excessive throttle pull.  Have not done anything about it yet.

I have noticed that some of the throttle levers are different lengths.  Would a longer throttle lever help?

I don't see any problem with changing the springs so long  as the throttle closes when you let go.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 07:26:05 PM »
I would wonder if there is some interference between the slide and the carb body or maybe some heavy duty cable lube that has dried up a bit??

Checkmarks

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 06:50:53 PM »
A little late to the question but it is a resolve. 

A ski Doo multi pivot throttle control will make for easy "first half" throttle.  To get to WOT the second half is a little more difficult.  Doo had those 44 Mikuns and with a single levered throw it was hard to "trail" ride.  These parts should be everywhere on 90's Doo sleds.

Your throttle may even end up too easy at 1/2 WOT.

gixxer6

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 08:33:24 AM »
Ah yes, I am familiar with the dual pivot Doo throttles...I had a 99 670HO with 44mm round slides on it, even with the dual pivot it was a beast...I had Popeye thumb by the end of the season. 

I'll look at picking one up and see if I can retrofit it. 

Too easy?  I don't think it's possible!  lol