Author Topic: Project Frankenstein  (Read 2244 times)

Clemens1986

Project Frankenstein
« on: August 22, 2020, 10:00:31 AM »
Starting with a 78’ tub and tunnel, have an 81 440 motor that came in it.
Was running and going 2 winters ago. Planned on doing crank seals and pulled the motor.
Once I did this I noticed the 78 skid was shot. Cracked in several places.
The project was sidelined.
So now I’ve got seals I need for the motor, and a 1991 Polaris sport donor sled
(complete except motor).
I have picked this sight for information on seals and the skid swap. I’m confident I can do both. But have a few questions.
My goal for this project is to build a low dollar head turner. I do have paperwork for the sled and if I can get it done I want to make people take a second look.
Questions are as follow.
Will I need to switch the drives
Can I run the Kawasaki track (in great shape)
Where can I get complete carb kits
Should I stay oil injected or go to premix

I’m sure I’ll have way more questions

Thank you to you all, in advance. this is an excellent  community and I’m glad I’ve found it.

mswyka

Re: Project Frankenstein
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 04:36:43 PM »
Good afternoon and congratulations.

I cannot help you with the skid swap.  Carbs are straight forward - clean them out, new jets, new needle and seat and she should be good to go.  Normally no need for a bowl gasket unless the existing one is damaged.  Just about any shop, New Breed, Dennis Kirk, Pats Small Engine etc. can get you going with jets.

Use the oil injection.  The oil pumps are great and vary the oil with rpm.  And, if the pump fails, the only result is over oiling, not under oiling.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

mswyka

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 04:38:15 PM »
Also, do you have a manual?

Clemens1986

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 04:50:30 PM »
Thank you for the reply, I was looking to order a manual today but wasn’t coming up with much. How do I remove the drive system to take track off??

mswyka

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 07:24:19 PM »
For removing the drive shaft, this will  not be step by step, but will hit the highlights.  These instructions assume that the secondary clutch and the suspension skid have been removed. 

On the 78, on the left inside of  the tunnel there is a bearing on the driveshaft with an eccentric collar.  You will need to loosen the set screw in the collar and then use a punch to rotate and free the collar.  These can be a bear and I have found no good reliable way to get them out other than alot of PB Blaster and a heavy hammer.  The bearing needs to  come off of the drive shaft in order for the shaft to slide out.

That bearing is held to the side of the tunnel by a retainer which includes the speedometer adaptor mount and  is held on by three bolts. These bolts and the retainer need to be removed. 

On the right side of the tunnel is the chaincase.  You can remove the drive shaft with the chaincase in place by sliding it far to the left until the splined end of the drive is out of the chaincase, but i find it easier to remove the chaincase first.  Removing the chaincase first gives a bigger opening to move the shaft in and out.

This is all described in the manual.  The 78 and 79 are like above.  80 and newer have a different style bearing on the left side of the shaft.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 08:55:25 AM »
It would seem like an Invader without a motor would not be real hard to find.  To put all the parts on a Polaris would come with some complications?

Clemens1986

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 11:10:56 AM »
Not putting the Kawasaki parts on Polaris, pulling Polaris skid and installing into Kawasaki.
It’s a common mod. Should put power to the ground a little better.

mswyka

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 07:09:35 PM »
I have never spent any time with Polaris and would be interested to see what the Polaris skid looks like.

gixxer6

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 09:39:07 AM »
What model are you working on?  Does it have a metal cleats on the track?  Or is it an updated all rubber track? 

There are some manuals that are available online, just google "kawasaki snowmobile manual" and you will find them.  But I highly recommend finding a paper copy, there are usually some on ebay and I see them all the time at swap meets.  You can usually pick them up for under $20, a worthwhile investment. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 09:44:32 AM by gixxer6 »

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 05:25:46 PM »
What is the number stamped on the right foot area of the tunnel?

Brian

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 08:28:15 PM »
From my memory the 91 indy sport had a lite duty suspension it will work but might not last to long if ur working on a kawasaki with a 121 track u shouldnt have to change the drives or track but it's been awhile for me with kawasaki I may be slightly off on that also the 90's indy 400 , 500 indy trail suspension is stronger also late 90's up axtra 10 is what I recomend for ride and longevity