Author Topic: suspension switch  (Read 2109 times)

norm

suspension switch
« on: September 02, 2020, 06:50:00 PM »
I have a 1980 340 invader that I would like to switch  the track to rubber. The track now is cleated style and the skid has
3 idler wheels in back,two small track tension wheels up top and a set of idlers at the front of skid.
I also have new style skid and all rubber track from a 1980 intruder but a few of the brackets are broken.
My question is can I take the 4 idler wheels from front and the 4 rear idlers and switch them to old style skid and leave
the two small tension wheels on skid then install the all rubber track. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mswyka

Re: suspension switch
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 08:02:56 PM »
The crossbar track and the rubber track have different diameter rear wheels.  The replacement track kit for the rubber track came with the larger diameter rear wheels and an extra pair of wheels that would be mounted mid-skid.  I may have the instruction sheet for that swap somewhere.

But, with that said, if you are using the wheels from the Intruder and the track from the Intruder, they should match up and work fine.

When you talk about front idler wheels are you talking about the drive shaft?
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

norm

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 09:39:39 PM »
When talking front idler wheels they are the wheels
That are attached to the slides. The rear idlers measure 8"
My main concern is the two smaller idlers that are mounted
Above the shock. And can I use these with updated track.
The skid from the intruder does not have these.

mswyka

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 06:41:51 AM »
While the front suspension arms are interchangeable, I prefer to use the suspension arm with the two small idler wheels. 

The early suspension arms just had a steel loop to keep the track from hitting the front cross shaft.  If that loop bent or wore down the sled would have an interesting machine gun like thump when starting out. 

With the crossbar track, the slides sat on the crossbar and the wheels sat on the rubber belt approximately 1/4" above.  With the swap to the rubber track the slides and the wheels sit on the same surface.  Consequently all of the wheels that contact the ground need to be 1/2" larger diameter with the rubber track.

The drive and the upper small idler wheels are the same between both tracks.

I couldn't find many good skid photos.  Attached are a few. One with the front suspension arm.  Early suspension arms did not have the ears to hold the cross shaft for the idler wheels, just the steel loop.   

Still looking for the track swap instructions.

norm

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 09:14:18 AM »
Thanks for all the info,and very well explained. I have never worked with suspensions before I am going to take my time
and take lots of pictures. It is nice to have a site like this to access knowledge from all the members. Thanks again

mswyka

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 04:04:59 PM »
Happy to help.  Do you have a manual?

norm

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 08:31:12 PM »
Just a owner's manual, no shop manual.  I just finished up restoring a 1980 intruder that I entered in the Dennis kirk
Sled build you will have to check it out and give me some
Feed back. Your green invader inspired me on the 340
Invader that I am working on now. I will post some pics when done. Thanks for everything Dave.

mswyka

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 11:34:38 AM »
I am honored that the green sled could bring you inspiration.  Please share the link to your sledbuild post so that we can add our votes.  So far the only Kawasaki that has placed has been the Kawasaki powered JD SnowMower.  If I had to lose to another sled, I am not ashamed to lose to that one, he did a great job.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 06:36:19 PM »
The mower was a great build.  I saw it at Waconia 1 year and it looked to drive very nice.  I may have an extra shop manual, if you let me know which year or years I will check to to if I have them.