Author Topic: Boogity boogity boogity, let's go racing.  (Read 16514 times)

Ameritude

Re: Boogity boogity boogity, let's go racing.
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2022, 03:48:31 AM »
Finally got the engine rebuilt. Wiseco prolites with ltd, 2 piece head gaskets, shaved heads (thankyou interceptor398) and wired for polaris ignition (per the instructions provided by gixxer6). Somthing that I also added, was another pulse line plug, im running lube on the sled this year and need to power the pump. I probably could have split the original pulse line with a t and used that, but I didn't want to take away from the fuel pumps pulse power. If you do this, you will have to bend the oil cable linkage arm in the way that I did, to clear the new nipple, in theory, a right angle nipple could be put in, but I think it would still interfere with the fully closed position.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2022, 07:12:23 PM »
Good stuff!!

mswyka

« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2022, 06:45:36 AM »
It is always a good feeling when the engine is back together - anticipating the exhilaration of the first fire.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

gixxer6

« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2022, 07:15:08 AM »
Your going to like that ignition...It starts and idles so much better, it also improves low end power so you can likely back off on the engagement RPM as well. 

What are you running for pipes?  Carbs?  Any port work done? 

Ameritude

« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2022, 03:46:18 PM »
The only "porting" done, is some very light intake Smoothing. The pipe is factory, and the carbs are vm38s, I have both vm36s and vm38s so I'll figure out which ones I like more. I'm getting rid of powerjets, because it's just another step of complication and I should mostly be in the higher range of rpm, out of the useful range of the power-jet. I can't do much modification to the engine without breaking out of the classes that I'm in unfortunately. Right now I'm on the very edge of what's allowed so I don't dare go further lol.

I got the ski leaf supports done last night. I haven't see this done as much as I would imagine, but I made the supports out of 1/4 aluminum but made the part that contacts to leafs, hyfax. The theory is, less sliding resistance, less wear and I dont have to make the whole support again after a couple seasons, instead I can just replace the hyfax.

gixxer6

« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2022, 09:31:14 AM »
Looks awesome!  Using hyfax seems like a great idea. 

I'm not sure what all the rules are exactly, but if you want a little more umph from the 440 you could switch to the larger 80 or 81 Invader pipe.  Or better yet, twin 4/6 pipes and 4/6 cylinders. 

Ameritude

« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2022, 10:33:34 PM »
That would be an awesome upgrade, just not this year.

Among other things, I finished the chain tensioner. It's a known issue that the factory ones break, so I made this one out of polaris and yamaha tensioners. It took me unreasonably longer than I care to admit

Ameritude

« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2022, 10:34:44 PM »
Correction: the factory one allow the chain to skip, they don't necessarily break

Ameritude

« Reply #98 on: December 26, 2022, 06:46:00 PM »
I've put an unreasonable amount of hours into the sled over the last week and a half, alot of stuff has been done, but it's a ton of little stuff. Here is a picture of the sled and the egt's, the big stuff is coming soon over the next couple days and I will be sure to post pictures.

Ameritude

« Reply #99 on: December 26, 2022, 06:51:13 PM »
Egts

Ameritude

« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2022, 06:52:35 PM »
One word "low"

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2022, 07:35:30 PM »
Nice work!!

Ameritude

« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2022, 10:52:11 AM »
Thankyou!
Here is the running boards lube setup, got a vintage aluminum lube tank from ebay and its nice and hidden under the board. All its missing in this picture is the pulse line

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2022, 05:29:09 PM »
That is a slick set up!

Ameritude

« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2023, 02:44:23 AM »
Happy new year yall, I mostly finished the dash tonight, took me a couple hours but I couldn't be happier, took some inspiration from the intimidator dash, but also did my own design. All that's left for it is, hardware drilling and brushing like my front plate is.