Author Topic: Boogity boogity boogity, let's go racing.  (Read 15940 times)

Ameritude

Boogity boogity boogity, let's go racing.
« on: November 08, 2020, 03:10:55 PM »
This is my 1978-79 kawasaki invader, that I picked up for a little less than 160 bucks. It has about 1850 miles and I'm going to be racing it next year in january. My vintage sled guy, has about 20 of these sleds sitting in his gravel driveway all under a tarp. I honestly picked this one because the seat is literally perfect and I believe its factory. The hood is pretty decent, the worst part on it is the paint cracking, it's all there structure wise. I thought ide bring you guys along with me on the journey of restoring/race prepping it. I plan to clean the exterior up and shine up the aluminum but leave the hood how it is. The engine is where its really gonna shine, its going to be immaculate and perfectly functional. Kinda a sleeper in my brain. Anyways, hope you guys enjoy

DougKauer

Re: Boogity boogity boogity, let's go racing.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 06:33:19 PM »
That's not the original seat.

Ameritude

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 06:53:41 PM »
Well now I know. Thanks :)

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 08:10:40 AM »
A really nice original seat for a 78 Invader is very rare,  this one is aftermarket but looks real good.  It will be fun to follow your efforts with this sled.

Good Luck!!

Ameritude

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 09:33:58 PM »
Well of course, im preoccupied... I guess I gotta get the old scorpion back together before I get started on anouther project. I did however get the clutch, carbs and gas tank off the kawi. That blue sure does clean up nice. Anywhoo, better get back to work.

Ameritude

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 09:47:11 PM »
Side by side, crazy how much of a difference in size there is from 71 to 78 sleds

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 08:29:17 AM »
They started out big and simple, then got smaller and now small is not a work that fits.

Ameritude

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 12:08:44 PM »
Got the engine out and completly disassemble, there's alot I probobly could have just left alone but to me, the best way to learn is to see and the only way for me to see how this thing works, is by disassembling it. There's a few rough spots such as a chip in the casting in the bottom half of the case (see in pictures) and a whole Lotta scraping in the bottom in-side of the case. What I believed to have happened is a piston let go for some reason and the chunks of it went down there and had a party. I did however talk to the guy I bought the sled from today and he told me that he had rebuilt it about 4 seasons before it was parked (about 11 years ago) with an entirely new bottom end and top end, how realistic this is, I dont really know.

mswyka

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 11:22:24 AM »
I have seen worse.  Nothing that would make me think that it can't be reused.

Are the sealing flanges clean and flat?  I cannot tell if what i am seeing are scars or old sealant.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

Ameritude

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 12:23:51 PM »
Its just stained, there's no deviation in the metal on those parts, it cleaned up just fine.

Ameritude

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 12:10:16 AM »
She's been broken in for me a little... (chain tensioners) luckily I can just flip em

Ameritude

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 11:22:28 PM »
Got the engine all done, looks pretty good if I do say so myself (don't worry the unfinished, flaking parts will be finished). Carbs are just on for mockup right now. It took me quite a bit longer than expected to finish it up because I broke a bolt off in one of the heads so I had to source a new head. Worked out though because I got two 79 heads for it for the great price of free.99.

gixxer6

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2020, 01:11:46 PM »
Looking good.  And FAST!  :)

Ameritude

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 11:09:37 PM »
This is a brake lever that I designed out of round aluminum stock, because I couldn't find anybody that made a curved brake lever for going left, for a sled with cable disk brakes. You can find them for juice brakes but not for cable. The picture is it wrapped up in electrical tape for just a little more grip and for looks. Here is a link to me describing it in more detail: https://youtu.be/fBt75fa0byM

Ameritude

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 10:45:09 AM »
Quick update. Races were canceled this year, but I'm still pushing to finish the sled (its a very lazy push). I did build this however, im getting rid of the original tank due to cracks and it leaking ( I know it could be fixed but I like the looks of a  smaller gas tank) plus if I ever want it back to stock for a trail ride, all the parts are still there, I just need a new tank. Please keep in mind, this is not a finished product, it will be much cleaner and the lines will all flow..