Author Topic: Invader will not run  (Read 2706 times)

Vader19

Invader will not run
« on: March 02, 2021, 08:11:31 AM »
I replaced the crank seals and rebuilt the fuel pump.  I got everything back together and the sled fired right up and idled good but bogged out when you tried to take off.  I pulled the carbs and went through them and now the sled will not run.  The power jets are gone and I believe these are 39.5.  Any ideas why it would have run two days ago but when I cleaned the carbs it will not run now?  I did notice the fuel lines had air bubbles so I might pull the pulse line and check that.

mswyka

Re: Invader will not run
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 08:59:36 AM »
Sounds frustrating.  My suspicion is that it is something minor.

We made many, many rookie mistakes with our early sleds.  I will try to see if I can remember some of them.

On one sled I remember putting the floats into the carbs upside down.  As a result, they would not let any fuel into the carbs.

The primer can be a point of frustration - either leaking air or leaking fuel.  Does the primer work?  And will the engine start when primed?

Does the engine have good spark?

Is all of the blockage out of the exhaust?
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

Vader19

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 10:09:09 AM »
The engine had good spark but did not check it yesterday.  Exhaust seemed clear when I pulled it to remove the motor but I will fire up the compressor and blow some air through it.  Floats and bowl were clean and floats moved freely.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 10:57:25 AM »
If your gas line has air bubbles the first place I check is the plunger primer.

Vader19

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 08:47:11 AM »
Primer seems to work fine and have plenty pressure, so much that when you pull it out to prime it has a lot of back pressure.  The mag side carb line is the one with the bubble while the pto does not really look like it is pumping up and into the carb.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 09:58:37 AM »
Maybe the ball detent in the primer is stuck??

Rhettly464

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 10:10:55 PM »
Give it a shot of gas in the carbs and get it running even for a few seconds might be all it needs to get rid of them bubbles in the fuel lines and get constant flow into the carbs. Usually what I do seems to work fine if the fuel system just needs a prime.

Vader19

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 01:58:44 PM »
So I went out and played around with it some more today and the thing started right up.  It still had the bog so I adjust the idle and then played with the air screw and i got it to a point that it actually went.  The thing seems to go pretty good.  It does look like the carbs are 39.5s so can anyone give me an idea what i should be running for jets and settings with these carbs?  Thanks and I appreciate all the help.

sprocket

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 08:13:57 AM »
Check your plugs see what color they are before changing jetting. Was there any modifications done to the engine ?. There is all kinds of combinations you can do to get what you’re looking for.  The AAEN Carburetor book comes to mind.

Vader19

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 09:55:24 AM »
The sled is actually a 4/6 that someone has converted to invader cylinders and exhaust.  I have a set of stock pipes for it but I am still looking for the twin flanges.  I am not sure if these cylinders have had any work done.  I was just hoping to get the carbs set close to what would be stock at least for the invader cylinders and pipe.  I know this would change if I am able to get my hands on the flanges.

gixxer6

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 01:37:51 PM »
When you rebuilt the fuel pump did you check for the missing hole in the one gasket?  All of the aftermarket rebuild kits that I have used have had one of that gaskets that the manufacturer missed punching a hole in.  This may be the cause of you fueling problems? 

Vader19

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 02:09:51 PM »
I looked at the various pieces but did not find a hole in the in those I took apart or the pieces that come with the rebuild kit.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 05:24:30 PM »

Vader19

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 07:56:05 AM »
That looks like the kit I used and I would assume it had been rebuilt before because it didn’t have a hole.  Would the lack of a hole cause a lack of fuel getting to the carbs?  I read that post to indicate it only stop fuel from flowing when there is no vacuum and the motor is not running.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 08:59:48 AM »
The pumps are meant to have the hole.  It is an anti syphon but may cause other problems if not there??  Not sure about that as all mine have the hole.  What carbs are you using if the are 39.5??  I'm wondering  about sticky seats not letting fuel in fast than a trickle.  If it sits long enough it will gt enough fuel to run for a bit???  Hard to tell when I can't get my hands on it from here.