Author Topic: What is the Quickest, Easiest, Lowest Cost Method to Clean Engine Parts  (Read 1578 times)

mswyka

I am about to start assembling a few engines and over the years I have taken different approaches to cleaning the engine parts - some with more success than others - and all rather labor intensive and time consuming.

I am interested to know what everyone thinks is the best method to clean up the crankcase and cylinders so that they look as close to new as possible when they go back together.

The below photos are some of my earlier efforts.  The time it took to get them that clean is probably why I have not assembled too many engines lately.  I don't know what is fussier, cleaning up the aluminum or polishing the chrome acorn nuts on the polishing wheel.

Thank you in advance for your insights.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 06:57:46 AM by mswyka »
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

gixxer6

Re: What is the Quickest, Easiest, Lowest Cost Method to Clean Engine Parts
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 07:04:14 AM »
I sand blast the aluminum parts then coat them with WD40.  I've soaked the original chrome acorns in evapo-rust and polished them, wire wheeled and painted the flats, and replaced the split locks with stainless. 

I did pick up a set of full stainless hardware someone had reproduced a couple years ago, but haven't installed them yet. 

5kaws

Re: What is the Quickest, Easiest, Lowest Cost Method to Clean Engine Parts
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 07:25:48 AM »
Hi
After degreasing and cleaning things up , I use steel wool number 4.   The steel wool is soft and takes off the stain and etc.  then I’ll use steel wool and mothers paste polish.  It then looks close to new or Chrome like.  The gas tanks and some other plastics parts to restore the  dark black look I use a 50/50 mix of paint thinner and boiled Linsed oi.    And use a micro fiber rag to apply it.  Try and do it evenly , wait a min or two so it penetrates the plastic.  Then wipe / buff dry.   It may take few times.    The paint thinner opens the pores of the plastic and the linsed oil kinda injects its self in the plastic restoring the oil lost from sun fade.      Hope this helps restore your sleds or other things.    I can’t figure how to post pics  to show proof of work I’ve restored paints , plastic , and other things to a like new finish with a few hrs of time and few dollars.   Also have restored atv/dirt bike plastic that were sun  dried or painted on .  And end results like brand new.   That’s a diff process and diff subject.          -Take care
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 10:38:41 AM by 5kaws »

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Brake cleaner to degrease and glass beads in the blasting cabinet for the aluminum parts.  Evapo-rust is pretty good stuff for rust but it takes a bit of elbow grease.