Author Topic: Repairing gas tank filler neck 81 LTD  (Read 5901 times)

ChaChi

Repairing gas tank filler neck 81 LTD
« on: January 13, 2013, 12:53:08 PM »
Hey guys

So we had snow for a couple week hence why I haven't been on the computer :). I got a decent amount of riding in, which after last year (no snow) it put a smile on my face! Both my sleds to me are on their "A GAME", they're running quite nice, able to keep up with my buddy on his mach 1X 617 skidoo, which is one of the fastest sleds made period and a racing model to boot, the LTD holds her own tho and impresses even him because it's a 440 and will get up to speed as fast as his doo!

Anyway enough rambling, my LTD somehow over the last year or two has gotten a crack around the filler neck, the tank itself is always kept well armor all'ed  and the sled indoors in a dry barn except for when there is snow on the ground! I had hoped this would keep the tank from hardening and cracking, but it happened! So unless I run that tank really low all the time (which is no fun for anyone, especially because the LTD is my touring sled for covering distance with buddies on the newer sleds) I am getting gas running down the tank which is obivously a recipe for disaster and a waste of money and gasoline!

So to my question, what is the absolute best repair? Should I drill two small holes at the ends of the crack? It's only 1/3 the way around the neck right now... I would like to know the best product to use...

Should I maybe take it somewhere and get it plastic welded by a pro? I have always done all my own work on everything I own, but fixing plastics isn't exactly something I've always had great luck with. I did repair my plastic seat base with a product called west system that's a fiberglass epoxy resin and is the cats meow in the boating industry! I'm just not sold on it being very gas stable... Should I drain the tank before doing anything or can it be repaired with fuel in it with the right product?

Any info, comments, links pictures are very much appreciated and welcome!

Thanks in advance
ChaChi

mswyka

Re: Repairing gas tank filler neck 81 LTD
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 02:13:26 PM »
While I think that the best repair is a replacement tank, we have also used the tank repair kit from Image - it works quite well and is easy to install.  I think that shizznats has a good LTD tank available right now.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

Mad Kaw

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 03:08:28 PM »
there's a few guys here that have glued a chunk of pvc pipe into the filler neck...

my 340 has a cracked neck too & i'll be using this method to fix it... not the prettiest fix,,, but i guess it works...

kawi gas caps seem to leak a little bit when full even when they arent cracked... (my 440 does at least & there's no cracks in it) people see the leak & crank down the cap harder which will then crack it...

side-note: i've used west system myself for boat repairs & you're right,,, it is the cats meow (plus the bees knees & possibly the cats ass)... with a little thixo-powder to thicken it up,, it'll stay wherever you put it,, forms nice,, & pretty easy to sand... only problem i've run into using it is it will heat up & form cracks if you try to put too much on at once... for glass lay-up,, i use poly resin just cuz its cheaper,,, but for spot & stress crack leak repairs,, its west system all the way...

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 03:11:10 PM by Mad Kaw »

jimvw57

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 08:32:42 PM »
A few years ago I came up with the PVC pipe repair.  If you use a coupling, it will fit inside the neck, and there is a small ridge towards the bottom of the neck (inside) that it will rest against. Cut the top of the coupling off just below the top of the filler neck and it will seal inside the gas cap. A little plastic cement and it will work for awhile, a couple of seasons.

The only sure way to fix it is to use a 'neck repair' from Image. they are thicker so they won't crack. Also, during the summer months, leave the cap loose and it won't crack from the gas expanding faster than the vents can release the pressure.  Also resist the urge to put a rubber gasket in there. It makes it worse!!