Author Topic: Well.........My Invader Is Stuck In A Field!  (Read 3365 times)

Metalman

Well.........My Invader Is Stuck In A Field!
« on: February 10, 2013, 08:38:04 AM »
We took the sleds out for a little ride last night when my wife got off work. My wife tried to take the Intruder up a steep hill and got stuck in a big drift. I pulled the Invader up next to her where it idled and then died. I got the Intruder dug out and going but then the Invader wouldn't start. Tried again this morning and still nothing.
 The problem is that where it is sitting you can't get anything there to drag it out. It is sitting about 300 yards from our house in a grove of trees at the bottom of a steep hill in a foot of snow. :-[ and of course the snow is now slick, wet and heavy and it is in a bottoms so it is also soft underneath the snow.
I have a slightly lifted Cherokee with posi, new Cooper 31x10.5x15's on it and I really don't even want to attempt taking that in there or I may have bigger problems. :)

So off I go with tools in hand to see if I can get the thing running, otherwise it may be summer when the mud is gone before it gets moved. :(

jimvw57

Re: Well.........My Invader Is Stuck In A Field!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 09:05:32 AM »
Check that darn kill button. It has got me a few times when I didn't notice it had been bumped

Metalman

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 10:13:23 AM »
 I checked all those buttons about a dozen times Jim.  lol
Got it home!  :)  It didn't have any spark! I put a different coil off one of my parts sleds on  and fired right up. Barely got it out of there with that old grouser bar track and the snow that is almost slush from the rain and ice we have going today. I think the first order of business after testing all the coils I have is to replace that damn track!

jimvw57

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 01:49:27 PM »
At least you got it out and back home!!

Lloyd (ljm)

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 06:54:11 PM »

I've had to drive a 150 hp 4 wheel drive tractor through 3 feet of snow to tow a dead sled to the shop. 

Glad you got it running and home

How is the Intruder running?
77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres

ChaChi

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 01:09:43 PM »
A 10 dollar plastic toboggan can come in very handy if you need to tow a sled, with one of those under the track you can tow is easily with any other kawi!

Metalman

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 09:55:25 AM »
The Intruder is running better but I still haven't got the bog completely out. They had the carb clips set on four so I moved them to the three position and that helped a little. Since I am still working on the new bathroom I haven't had much time for the sleds :( my wife is thrilled she has a new bathroom!  :) :)

Thanks for that great piece of advice ChaChi!

Mad Kaw

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 10:39:37 AM »
i use an old plastic kneeboard for towing,,, makes for an interesting ride for whoever is steering the towed sled... it kinda has a mind of its own on which way it wants to go lol

and yes,,, get that bar track outta there as soon as possible... they're worthless for traction,,, can do alot of damage to the tunnel & exchangers when they come apart (had it happen @ 60mph,, NOT pretty),,, not to mention they're dangerous for anybody riding behind you if one of the cleats come off...

any 121" 2.52 pitch track will work with a little driveshaft & skid modification...