Author Topic: Mikuni throttle cable on a Kawasaki Interceptor  (Read 5555 times)

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
Mikuni throttle cable on a Kawasaki Interceptor
« on: February 23, 2013, 07:11:18 PM »
   Well,  I have been baffled by a kehin to mikuni carb conversion on my Interceptor.  When I bought this sled the kehins had been pulled and there were no carbs.  The throttle/oil injection cable was still attached to the engine.  There was nothing wrong with the cables so I installed a set of 38mm Mikunis.  This cable was not for the Kehins (newer cable with a part number that matched my Invader 440 cables for 36/38 mm carbs).   Anyway, as I was adjusting the cables/slides I found that I couldn't get the brass slides to rise high enough... only about 3/4 with the throttle lever pinned to the bar.   I had never run into this problem- just used the same cables and carbs on a 440 Invader with no troubles!  After ripping the last few hairs out of my head, the lightbulb turned on......

What are the chances that the throttle lever itself is different from the Invader?  Maybe the Invader lever pulls more cable?  I pulled the lever off the Invader and installed on the Ceptor.  They both "looked" the same but surprise, surprise- the slides pull clear to the top of the carb bores!   Simple fix but easily overlooked.  So, if anyone out there runs into this problem, hopefully this post will save you afew hours of troubleshooting and afew more hairs left on your head!
Torys Vintage Sleds

Trucker

Re: Mikuni throttle cable on a Kawasaki Interceptor
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 07:35:50 AM »
You need to used the lever from an invader it has more pull to it.