Author Topic: Adding Hand Warmers 78 Drifter  (Read 4810 times)

ltd440snowrider

Adding Hand Warmers 78 Drifter
« on: October 29, 2012, 07:53:11 PM »
I am thinking about adding hand warmers to my Drifter. What is the best, least expensive, set to buy(trying to stay around 25-30 bucks)? What is the best line to tap into to avoid dimming the lights.
Think Snow!

flatlander

Re: Adding Hand Warmers 78 Drifter
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 01:07:06 PM »
What did you end up going with?  I would like to add these as well but hate paying 50 bucks for junk or stuff that doesn't plug in right or work correctly.  Is there any trick to installing?

Checkmarks

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 05:27:28 PM »
Your lighting coil is the only one that puts out usable power.  It has limits and there is no getting around this fact, unless your an engineer redesigning the capacity and have lots of time and money to burn.  Go with buying a new sled if you have too much money to burn.  In the world of rules.

There is no better wire to cut into within Kawasaki's system.  There is simply two wires that put out an alternating current.  Now if interference with your lighting is a noticeably problem, you might look at the specifications of the hand warmers you install to find the least amp drawing ones.  Keeping within your $ limit, well.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 07:31:50 AM »
One note of caution for you.  I have 3 different sled with hand warmers that needed a hole drilled in the handle bars.  All 3 have handle bars that are cracked at the drilled hole.  Don't get the ones that need a hole drilled in the handle bars!!

jimvw57

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 10:20:44 AM »
The thing about hand warmers is that you have to wear gloves with less insulation in them to feel the warmers. I have them on both my sleds but never use them.  Maybe I just have warmer hands.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 07:22:41 AM »
I have the large mitts that go over the handle bars.  They do help a lot and I don't need to mess with the wiring.

mswyka

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 05:30:11 PM »
We have hand warmers on a couple of the Kawasaki sleds.  None of them interfere with the lighting.  Double check with the manual about how many watts the sled puts out then deduct for your head light, tail light and instrument lights that will tell you how much wattage is left over for the hand warmers.  Like Mark says, all of ours connect to the lighting circuit, and I think, although am not entirely sure, that there may be an extra plug on the Kawasaki harness for just such an installation.  Some of our warmers are dual temp and have a resistor connected to a three position (on-off-on) switch.  At 30 degrees they can be too hot, but under 15 it can be a nice addition.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

ChaChi

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 10:02:34 AM »
Beaver mitts are the answer or a good pair of leather mitts with wool inside or something...

To me hand warmers are silly... If you have good gloves/mitts you shouldn't even feel them...

Also every kawy baths you in warm engine heat.... All over the windshield openings, fans even more so then the liquids....

Trucker

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 02:52:18 PM »
If you want a set of red grips i have a set you can have for $10 +shipping. Its a complete hotgrips set.