Author Topic: Vari-ride shocks  (Read 10409 times)

kawhead

Re: Vari-ride shocks
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 12:00:55 PM »
the hose clamp will be fine...i wonder if it may cause a vibration on top end though

gixxer6

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 02:18:21 PM »
the hose clamp will be fine...i wonder if it may cause a vibration on top end though

Probably no more vibration than the stock aluminum clamp with a steel bolt in it... 

Have you used hose clamps with success?   

booblover

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 02:33:10 PM »
I tried the hose clamp. It held, but I have not run the sled, so I know of no impacts yet. I can say that the clamps were definitely broken when I pulled the drive shaft, and I rode it like that for the first two years I owned it. I did have a vibration starting at about 60 mph, but I attributed that to the bad clutch side bearing on the driveshaft. Never know, could have been a part of the problem.

kawhead

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 08:09:44 AM »
a decent hose clamp will work fine,done it many times back in the day.....i sometimes think the goodyear tracks vibrate more,my 81 vader has a nasty shake at about 75, bearings and drive line are good,runs and rides well.....i take it as gods way of telling me, 'hey, you old dipshiz, slow down' 8)

booblover

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 10:28:59 AM »
My other 81 invader never vibrated, even when the speedo said 80. I know for a fact that my clutch side jackshaft bearing is junk too, so it is very odd.

I am just now realizing that when I removed my chaincase, the mounting holes were slotted. If I make sure that my jackshaft is perfectly aligned, is there anything I have to worry about with the driveshaft? Also, is it as simple as taking measurements off of the tunnel for aligning the jackshaft? Am I also correct to assume that I will need to check alignment on my clutches once the jackshaft is straight?

booblover

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 03:48:22 PM »
I found another source of the vibration. The jackshft pillow bearing was installed incorrectly, and the lock collar was just jammed on. It wore the bearing crooked and caused it to wobble.

I ordered a gas shock from image. It doesnt come with any bushings, and the stock ones are too small. What are people using in place of stock bushings for these replacement shocks?

Also, I am going to post all of the federal mogul/moog part numbers for the bearings and seals i bought for my chaincase on the parts interchange thread. These were nice bearings, and I got them all at my local parts store.

booblover

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 08:17:20 PM »
FINALLY DONE. I got the wrong shock from image, and he quick shipped me the right one. I cannot believe this sled. In the 5 years I have owned Kawasaki invaders, this is the first one I have ever fixed the suspension in. That, along with the 1" track, and WOW. I built a manometer and balanced the carbs. This sled hangs skis for over 100'. I guess a little hard work and a lot of frustration is definitely worth it in the end. I tip the scales at about 250, and it seems perfect with all four springs at the middle setting. I would have to agree that the 1" track is the best thing I have ever done to any Invader.

kawhead

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 08:05:32 AM »
what sled did the i in track come off of?

booblover

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 11:38:40 AM »
It came off of a Polaris XC SP 800 with an edge chassis. The track was not even in the greatest shape, but it is 10 times better than the original stock track. For $35 I am not going to complain about some missing lugs.

gixxer6

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 11:51:29 AM »
I know what you mean about the 1" track...  I installed a 1" Camoplast Hacksaw track on my 81' Invader, by far the best mod for a Kawi! 

kawhead

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 11:58:18 AM »
so pretty much any indy 121 in track?

gixxer6

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 12:58:53 PM »
Any 121x15x2.52 will work.  Except most newer tracks have extra internal drive lugs outside the windows that interfere with some of the idler wheels on the kawi skids.  This requires you getting creative and spacing these wheels to avoid the drive nubs.  It's not real simple, but IMO its definitely worth doing. 

booblover

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 01:10:18 PM »
Yup, it fit right in, with the exception of the idlers on the drive shaft, and the two outer sets of bogie wheels on the skid.
LESSON LEARNED- It is necessary to remove the chaincase in order to re-install the driveshaft once you space the idler wheels out. There is not enough room to slide the shaft into the bearing cup hole when the wheel is spaced outward. Once I removed the chaincase, I slid the driveshaft in chaincase side first, put the clutch side bearing in/bolted the bearing cup to the tunnel, I slid the chaincase over the driveshaft and jackshaft, and I bolted the chaincase in.  Otherwise it was a pieceof cake.

kawhead

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 08:09:44 AM »
my biggest concern was the spacing of the windows/clips...indy track it is :D