Author Topic: 79 invader  (Read 7208 times)

Kawawowee

79 invader
« on: November 14, 2012, 03:43:14 PM »
Ok I have a 79 invader I had for 5-6 years now only put on about 100 miles maybe since I bought it. First I had carb issues got that fixed I believe not sure what jets I have in there now I forgot? 320 45? Darn I forgot! Any how I was putting the air box back on after cleaning it and it just bogs with it on? She'll bog a little with it off until 5k then she'll scream! But after a while it will just stay at 3000 rpm won't go higher, I replaced the coil last year cause I lost spark that fixed it but I believe the crank seals are shot? Anyone want to rebuild motor for me? I'm just petrified on doing it on my own I have no idea where to begin, we'll I do I'm just a bit scared! Also what oil do I use for injection? I read a while back on here to use 5w30 motor oil is that right? That think smokes like crazy? Also anyone have the grill piece for the radiator for sale and a taillight assembly? Parts on eBay are crazy expensive!

Thanks

jimvw57

Re: 79 invader
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 05:12:21 PM »
Welcome!

What part of the country are you in?  is it a 340 or a 440? (different carbs) it could be a plugged jet, or a missing  or damaged o-ring, or just the carbs out of synch. other possibilities include low float setting, leaking fuel line (sucking air)  or a bad coil.

As for injector oil, I use a good quality 2 cycle snowmobile oil rated for injection. Some people swear by synthetic oil, but I don't doubt 5w30 will smoke and it could be fouling plugs causing your bog issue. There is a proceedure to make sure the cabs and oil injection is sychronized that might help too.

Usually crank seals won't cause a bog problem, but it never hurts to have new seals installed.

Shawn

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 09:25:38 PM »
30 weight motor oil is better suited for use in an Evinrude than a Kawasaki. So long as it's non detergent. My Evinrude rarely smokes unless the engine is running. As Jim suggested use some descent two stroke oil. It's intended to be burned during combustion whereas regular motor oil really isn't. But don't tell my Evinrudes that or they'll be asking for Klotz. The mice haven't turned your exhaust into their personal doomsday bunker have they ? One stuck open carb can make it bog then suddenly scream when the other comes open to allow in enough air. Maybe pull the carbs for cleaning and inspection of o-rings ? If it ran good last year then it should again ? Is this the first time you ran the airbox with the current jetting ?

Invader440

• Up Norte Dere in Fosston, Mn
    • Curt's Snowmobiling Page
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 12:28:21 AM »
5W30 for the crank case gear box but not for the oil injection. 

jimvw57

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 08:21:01 AM »
You want to do your carb balancing and adjustments while running on a sled with the air box installed

79 invaders

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 09:56:04 AM »
also check your primer had one on my ltd leaking by the other day and had to disconnect it
78 invader
2-79 invaders
80-invader
80-intruder
81 ltd