Author Topic: 440 Intruder  (Read 19185 times)

58Evinrude

Re: 440 Intruder
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 08:37:06 PM »
I tried that last weekend.. taped it wide open. Still just got the occasional cough out of it. I'll try it again on Sunday.

Lloyd (ljm)

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 08:44:39 PM »
Too bad you on the other side of the province, I'd be glad to help you out with it.

I'm curious to know more about that engine.
77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres

58Evinrude

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 07:32:00 AM »
only about 2 1/2 hours one way. I'll get her figured out Lloyd, if I can bring a 1927 outboard back to life, surely I can get a 1980 sled running :) Once I get it out, I'll take some good pics of the engine and post them.

58Evinrude

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 05:33:19 PM »
So it's been sitting for another week. I wrapped the pull cord on it, didn't touch anything, and gave it a yank. Ran for about 5 seconds, I'm guessing on one cylinder. After that, nothing. I pulled off the head on the mag side (130 comp side), the walls of the jug look perfect :), so if the rings I got fit, I should be ok.  But, the engine is full of gas, so tomorrow I'll pull the clutch side plug, leave the head off the mag side head, and roll the machine on it's side to try and dry it out.

I'm waiting on a recoil starter for it, getting tired of wrapping the cord around the clutch. I may pull the motor tomorrow, if I do, I'll get some pics of it so you experts can tell me what the hell it really is.

Lloyd (ljm)

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 06:08:18 PM »
I just reread the entire post.

I bet your flooding problem is the same reason it was sent to scrap in the first place.

If it wasn't sucking gas, the fuel pump is done, damaged fuel pumps also let gas run into the crankcase. 

Get it dried out, replace fuel pump. I bet she will run
77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres

58Evinrude

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 08:34:35 PM »
That was one of the first things I did.. drained and flushed the tank, new gas lines, new fuel pump, new plugs. I'm wondering if the case was flooded when it was scrapped last year, and has never dried out!! If it's year old gas, it will never fire!! I'll flip it over tomorrow, and see what comes out.  I just finished fixing the same issue on my SRV.. case was full of fuel after sitting for a week, I put on a new pump, and did the carb again. Runs good.

58Evinrude

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 04:59:49 PM »
I rolled it on it's side this morning, onto the mag side, I left that head off, and had the plug out of the clutch side. At first there was a bit of pretty ugly old gas/oil mix running out, then nothing. I sprayed brake cleaner and ether into the mag cyl, and into the plug hole on the clutch side, and left it. I spun the motor by hand over the day, just trying to work all the crap out of the case.

after about 7 hours of this, I rolled it back flat, put the mag head back on, threw the plugs in it, and started pulling. I lost count, maybe 50 ? pulls later, and all I'm getting is the odd cough and some flames out the Y pipe. Tried gas down the cyls again, throttle wide open, throttle closed, choke on, choke off. Its getting frustrating.   :(

jimvw57

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 12:46:05 AM »
Been there. I'd start with replacing the crank seals, and take a good look at the carb boots for cracks or tears.  I fought with an Invader for a long time only to find that one of the 'newly installed' crank seals the Previous owner installed was torn open.

58Evinrude

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 08:05:21 AM »
I think I'm just going to pull the motor and re-do it. Do the seals, check the bearings, replace the rings on the low compression cylinder. I really think the timing is wonky too. From what I can tell, not being a Kawi expert, it's a 440 lower with 440 Drifter cylinder jugs, single carb. There is an oil pump on the case, but I can't find anywhere that the oil would be injected.

Lloyd (ljm)

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 05:20:01 PM »
  What are your plans for this sled?

Do you want to get it running and go from there?

Do you want to switch it too an Intruder top end?

Do you want oil injection? Or leave it premix?

Lloyd
77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres

mswyka

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 07:35:44 PM »
  What are your plans for this sled?

Do you want to get it running and go from there?

Do you want to switch it too an Intruder top end?

Do you want oil injection? Or leave it premix?

Lloyd

Lloyd, if I can see where you are leading you are suggesting that it might make more sense to get an actual Intruder motor in that sled than to try to make a frankenmotor run.  I have never seen frankenmotors go well, always second guessing if something is set or calibrated right or not.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

Lloyd (ljm)

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 08:07:27 PM »
Your on the right path Mark.

If he wants it back to twin carbs and oil injection. I think now is the time to do it.

Would be cheaper and less frustrating to get a complete Intruder engine than to find the pieces and return that one to original.

If it is a sled to bomb around on, It should work the way it is.
77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres

58Evinrude

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 08:41:05 PM »
I bought it to try and make a nice running, good looking machine. Fast is always good too. It's not a sled that I want to take on 200 mile runs, but it's no problem for me to run 40 or 50 miles on the trails in an afternoon, and I'd like to be comfortable doing that, without worrying that's it's gonna melt down on me.

I'm not in a rush to get it running this year (well, I would at least like to hear more than a cough), I'll take my time, and do it right. If the experts don't think it will work with the drifter jugs, than I'll have to track down some Intruder parts, jugs, carbs, etc. I don't even know for sure just what the engine is, but it does have the right numbers on the fan shroud to be an Intruder 440. I agree that it would be a lot simpler and easier to find a complete Intruder 440 engine, and start from there.

Once I get the engine out, I'll post some pics, and you experts can tell me what it is :).  All I know is it's single carb, with an oil pump on the case. The oil injection would be nice to have working, but it's not a necessary item.

Once I get the mechanical items sorted out, then I'll worry about bringing the cosmetics back to as near to factory as I can.

Lloyd (ljm)

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 04:26:18 AM »
 It should run just fine with Drifter jugs and carb.  440 Drifters and nice running sleds.

My thought was if you want it back to the way it left the factory now is the time to switch it back.

If you just want a sled to bomb around on, get it running the way it is. If you want to use Drifter jugs and have oil injection the intake manifold for an 81 Drifter would let you do that.

There are a number of combinations you can use.

I was just trying to figure out where you wanted to go with the sled. I have some parts I would sell if you wanted to change anything on it.

Lloyd
77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres

58Evinrude

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
If it's not totally factory, that doesn't bother me, I'm not interested in doing a nut and bolt restoration. I do want something that won't melt down. If it will run with the Drifter parts, that's ok with me. The oil injection would be nice, just because my other sleds have it, and I wouldn't need to have separate gas/oil mix on hand for the Kawi. Other than that reason, I'll run premix.