Author Topic: Finally got the restore project running. bogging issue  (Read 12038 times)

heiner921

Finally got the restore project running. bogging issue
« on: November 26, 2014, 06:28:31 AM »
Restore project finally to the running point. Will start and idle all day long.  Soon as I touch the throttle it bogs and wants to die. I flipped the chock  1/2 on and it cleared out

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
Re: Finally got the restore project running. bogging issue
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 06:39:50 AM »
Stock airbox??  35/40 pilots??  Does it bog when the track is elevated or just when the sled is on the ground?  Check your floats...  make sure they are installed the right way.  If the "Up" is "Down" your bowls will never fill with enough fuel under throttle.  The pin should be at the bottom of the bowl.  Even when you are careful there is always human error.  I'd be willing to bet the floats are in backwards or sticking on the pin(s).     Tory
Torys Vintage Sleds

kawhead

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 08:15:22 AM »
choke the carbs one at a time by pulling up lightly on the c cable right at the carb

heiner921

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »
Stock airbox...track is elevated...will have to check other stuff later when I get home

heiner921

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 08:09:11 AM »
I have 25 for pilots which is stock for mine.. stock air box.  Checked to make sure floats were in correct.  Now I can't even get the thing to idle anymore

JDmatt

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 09:56:23 PM »
Bad fuel pump or impulse line?
Matt
www.JDsleds.com - John Deere Snowmobiles
www.newbreedparts.com - New parts for John Deere & Kawasaki Snowmobiles

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 07:07:00 AM »
Are you sure your gas has no water in it?  Only takes a few drops to mess things up.

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 08:16:22 AM »
   What model Kawi???   25 pilots are too small IMO.  Sometimes when you get frustrated, it's best to take a "break" for a few days.  It gives you a chance to "re think" everything.  We will have snow for awhile and the sled isn't going anywhere.  ;) Lack of fuel seems to be the obvious culprit...  all the suggestions are good...  Here's my take...  remove the fuel line from the carb and pull the engine over.  Good fuel flow pumping out of the line?  This will tell you if the pump and or impulse line is o.k.  If the motor fires and idles without a miss your fuel is not the issue.  If you have water in the fuel the motor will misfire.  Sometimes a weak coil or electrical issue will not burn the "extra fuel" required when you open the throttle.  Even though you see spark off the plugs (with them out of the motor) sometimes there isn't enough fire "under compression" to ignite the fuel under load.  I have had this happen on one of my Merc F/A's.  I know all of this info can be a bit frustrating and overwhelming, but most often it's a simple fix...  you just need to find it!!  My father couldn't figure out why his Doo wouldn't start and I told him to take a deep breath and look at the most obvious items first.  The problem ended up as the fuel shut off had been turned to "off". :o
Torys Vintage Sleds

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 08:21:22 AM »
    If I lived closer I'd come over and help!! ;)
Torys Vintage Sleds

kawhead

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 08:34:08 AM »
same here :D  re-sealed,correct?

heiner921

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 10:43:19 AM »
Thanks guys for the help... the 25s are the stock ones according to my manual. Yes I did put new crank seals in.  Kawhead, ur only 5 and 1/2 hours lol....i am taking a couple days break from the intruder and getting my newer sled ready for a trip next week.. When I get back I'll be at it again.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 10:47:23 AM by heiner921 »

Checkmarks

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 02:57:05 AM »
Hein,

Your motor is too lean at idle.  Two ways to richen up, one: screw in the jet screws, two: put in bigger idle jets.  At altitude I have only ever needed #30 idle jets in 34/36mm carbs.  I still have one pair of 27.5s and 25 jets in my box (new), cannot find a use for them.

The problem may not be the metering system (carb).  Not enough fuel in the carburetor bowls (pump possibly).  Ignition system?  Who knows.

Back to the beginning.  Bottom line up front.  You must determine if the problem is fuel or ignition system; the very first step ever.  Guess away if you must.  My end all solution is to find out by elimination of the problem being in the ignition.  Hook up an automotive timing light.  It strobes to the beat of the rhythm the motor pumps.  A person can hear clearly and see clearly if the trouble is in the ignition system.  The strobe will quit moments before the revolutions of the motor halt.   Now you can report back I have a problem in the fuel system.

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 05:24:55 AM »
 :o
Torys Vintage Sleds

heiner921

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 07:28:31 AM »
So confused. Tory.. I messaged u. 

rminier

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 08:24:55 AM »
Hang in there. U have an '80 Intruder, correct? 25 pilots are correct for it. It should run great with them (if everything is stock and you are not at 10000 feet elevation). I keep getting back to what u mentioned about it idling well, but falling on it's face when u give it some throttle. Then, when u choke it some it picks up. I would really play with that some more. If giving it partial choke allows it to rev up some, we will have learned a lot. That probably means the fuel pump, in-tank pick up hose, and impulse hose are OK. Your carbs have power (econo) jets. You should be able to observe the fuel level in the float bowl by looking at the fuel hose that runs from the bottom of the bowl up to the upper half of the carbs. You should see the fuel level at around 3/4 full in the float bowl. If the bowls have that proper level, we have to figure out why motor is getting too much air (that would suck..air leak?) Or too little fuel. Something else...nothing in the drivetrain dragging when drive clutch engages...jackshaft, driveshaft, track?
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.