Author Topic: How's two feet of snow sound?  (Read 8429 times)

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
How's two feet of snow sound?
« on: January 27, 2015, 01:11:39 PM »
Well, all or nothing!!  Still snowing like crazy out here and not gonna stop till tomorrow morning.  You should see the drifts!  Reminds me of the snowfall we used to get as a "kid".  Forecast calls for 18-24" this storm.   Even better...   more snow for Friday!  Yeee haaaa!
Torys Vintage Sleds

gixxer6

Re: How's two feet of snow sound?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 01:42:33 PM »
Lucky!  We only have a few inches on the ground, and the trails are brown.   :( 

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 01:44:38 PM »
  Don't feel bad...   we only had a few inches before all of this.  I just hope it stays for longer than a week.
Torys Vintage Sleds

Joel

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 02:23:37 PM »
I was curious how the weather was out by you. 54 degrees and mud here. Joel
79 Drifter 440, 79 Invader 440,82 Intruder,81 LTD, 82 LTD x2, 82 GT Prototype,82 Interceptor #519

MaxThrottle

• In search of snow!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 02:28:57 PM »
We scored about 18-20 inches here in central Connecticut. My son and I put about 20 miles on some of our sleds today. We went and visited some "non-rider" friends. They were very excited about the "old" sleds. I confessed my addiction and warned them that vintage snowmobile collecting and "Mad KAW disease" in particular, is highly contagious and there is no known cure.

dr1979-340

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 03:49:31 PM »
Enjoy!!  Barely any snow left here in southern MN.  Takes the pressure off of finishing up the Drifter project.
Two 1979 340 Drifters
1979 440 Drifter
1980 440 Drifter

Boomologist

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 10:10:12 PM »
Spokane Washington is bare. Usually we have two feet this time of year.
Where we sled has 38 inches when it should be 120+.
Keeps this up we'll have a real bad summer.

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 03:51:44 AM »
Aside from the whole "global warming thing"...   the biggest disappointment is the "fluctuation" in temps and precipitation!  I know many guys who sell their sleds because of poor snowfall and then the next winter they/we get pounded with more than one can handle.  Anyone over the age of 35 can see the major change in our weather pattern over the years.  I have five letters for that>>>>>>>>   SCARY!  Nowadays when they predict a "storm"people flood the grocery stores and gas stations with much concern.  In my book a "storm" is more than 1 1/2 feet and not six inches!
Torys Vintage Sleds

Dandb7

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 06:57:06 AM »
So true Tory...........up here, 6 inches of snow is a ''Joke'' and we surely don't stock up at the grocery store for it........maybe the liquor store...but that's another necessity...  ;-)

The last time we had a major city shutdown in these parts of the world was 1971....we got 2 feet of snow in 7 hours with 70 mph winds....

The city of Montreal gave permission for snowmobile's to hit the streets that week.......that was cool to see for an 8 year old......and loved snowmobiles ever since...

Anyhow, ''Global Warming'' is a real issue and we should all give a little towards reducing the effects for our kids and their kids....
1982 Kawasaki Interceptor 550 #558
1979 Kawasaki Drifter 440
1989 Arctic Cat Pantera 440
2012 Arctic Cat F1100 Turbo 50th Anniversary 2015 Arctic Cat Lynx 2000

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 07:20:15 AM »
This weather reminds me of the late 70's when most of the snowmobile makers gave up.  Cold and little snow is not enough reason to spend a bunch of money on something that gets little use.

gixxer6

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 09:09:17 AM »
This goes both ways, we had ALOT of snow and cold temps last winter, so I went out and bought a new trail sled this fall.  I've only put on around 100miles so far.   :(

Macs80hp440

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 07:34:42 PM »
I was born and grew up in Iowa.  Grandparents retired in NW WI.  Spent my whole life recreating at "the cabin".  NW WI is pretty good snow country most years.  I still live in central IA but still recreate 4-5 trips north each winter.  Central Iowa is not considered "snowmobile" country. 

Since 2002, there have been 3 "poor" snow years.  3-4 "typical" years.  and 4-6 above average snow.  The best being 2013 and 2014.  2012 literally had 3-5 days of trail riding snow available.  Yes- it seems things are more boom and bust in recent years.  But, I've also looked at the WI climate data and "big storms" seem to occur in the past also.  Not sure much has changed.   I dunno, I'm not a weather historian. 

At any rate, this year the snow is poor.  But, for me, on the down years, I spend more time ice fishing and tinkering.  And, I spend more time looking for folks selling their sleds.  It is a buyers market, eh.

By the way dandb7:  Neat story about the '70s storm.  As for "global warming", keep in mind vintage 2-strokes were made long before we coined the phrase "global warming".  I'd say the sport, and culture in general, has come a long way already as it pertains to that subject.  Still, that subject does not stop me from firing up the old 2-smokers as often as possible.  I do not spend any time worrying about making it worse.  I spend all my time waiting for it to snow...which is what this is about, eh.
--------------------------------------------
'73 Scorpion Super Stinger 440 (White - 2nd Owner)
'78 Invader 440 (rebuild)
'79 Invader 440 (rebuild)
'77 Sno Jet SST 440 (2nd Owner)
'76 Rupp Rally

Dandb7

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 08:06:38 PM »
Hi Macs,

It's the same for me.....nothing stops me from firing my Ceptor every weekend.....and i love two strokes as much as anything with an engine...!! What scares me the most isn't what we ''normal'' individuals are doing on a day to day basis because everyone in their right minds do not to pollute extensively or do it purposely......but we still have to enjoy ourselves and live 'a little''.....

The scary ones are the MEGA factories that dump their crap in our rivers, the governments that don't do shit about it and everyone else in between that shuts an eye as if nothing's going on......

It's the little things we do collectively everyday that will add up one day i hope.....before it's too late for future generations.....and when i see something that's not right for my environment.......I tend to speak up.....The mayor in my town knows me...  :-)

1982 Kawasaki Interceptor 550 #558
1979 Kawasaki Drifter 440
1989 Arctic Cat Pantera 440
2012 Arctic Cat F1100 Turbo 50th Anniversary 2015 Arctic Cat Lynx 2000

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 05:01:39 AM »
Just had to rub this in..... ;D   We are getting another foot tomorrow!!!  That will make almost three feet in three days!  I've gotta go pack the trails down or I am never gonna get the ole' vintage stuff out of the barn!  Yikes!
Torys Vintage Sleds

gixxer6

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 06:52:39 AM »
Tory gets three feet, I get three inches.   :(  Life's not fair!   :)