Author Topic: Leaky invader top end  (Read 4838 times)

5kaws

Leaky invader top end
« on: December 09, 2015, 08:21:33 PM »
Rebuilt my  79 invader 440  motor top to bottom.
Put new winderosa gaskets on it.  Filled with antifreeze and two days later see anitfreeze leaking from top head caps.   Idk what's wrong other than junk replacements ?    Torqued  Heads down to the specs of the Kaw book.   Never had this prob with any others sleds using theses gaskets.  Prior to rebuild it did not leak at all!  Idk if I should take apart and replace with oem or cometic etc? I know oem are always best but thought I'd be ok.   Any input would be great.  Thanks guys in advanced! Mike
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 09:40:43 PM by 5kaws »

gixxer6

Re: Leaky invader top end
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 06:51:27 AM »
I know others have had success with different head gaskets, but the ONLY thing I can get to seal is the OEM 4/6 two piece gaskets.  I have tried Cometic, Winderosa, Marshall, NOS John Deere, NOS Kawasaki, and a variety of different sealants.  I verified the flatness of the heads and cylinders.  I verified the studs were not bottoming out in the acorn nuts.  I torqued the heads down to the FSM spec.  I even tried different torque wrenches.  Every single thing leaked, on two different motors.  I put on the NOS 4/6 gaskets, torqued it to spec once, then did a heat cycle and verified.  I have put on over 1,000 miles since and no leaks. 

rminier

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 04:29:42 PM »
 Wow, this is kinda perplexing....I'm one of those lucky ones that have had great luck with Winderosa gasket sets.
 I am certainly not any ACE mechanic....it's probably more like the old saying...."I'd rather be lucky than good any day".  :D
 gixxer6, it certainly sounds like you are covering all of the bases to have a leak-free assembly....and still had leaks.
 It wasn't mentioned yet, but I'm sure you guys know to install the coolant manifold first, (in picture) to square up and align the cylinders, before you torque down the cylinder heads.
 I'm trying to think if there is anything I do that might be different.. ???
 I do clean up the studs and apply a light film of grease to them, right down to their base, to prevent future corrosion....I think the acorn nuts, lock washers, and flat washers don't provide an air tight seal to the studs, and they can corrode a bit with time....but that certainly shouldn't have much effect on this problem.
  Where do you see the coolant? Is it coming from the stud area and visible under the acorn nuts and washers? Or, is it from the head gasket between the cylinder and the head?
  5kaws, since it sucks, and you're going to have to tear it apart and try again....maybe you can see where the leak started on the head or base gaskets.
 This sounds like one of those mysterious deals that should have a simple solution....if we could only figure out what that problem is. >:(

Rick
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 05:07:27 PM by rminier »
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

gixxer6

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 08:04:50 PM »
Mine leaked everywhere.  I had compression in the radiator, I had antifreeze around the acorn nuts, I had antifreeze right out the side.  Each gasket type leaked a little different.  Well except for the 4/6 gaskets  ;D

IMO, jump on eBay or call Image and spend a few extra bucks.  They're simple, don't require any sealant, reliable, and reusable. 

5kaws

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 08:20:15 PM »
Ok great thanks guys!!
Tom Do you happen to have part number for the gaskets ?

Rick I did reassemble the motor just as the Kaw manual said.
I thinking after a week of the leaks the gaskets are soaked and junk. 
My leaks are around both areas where the heads meet the top caps and around one acorn nut.  I am gonna drain and take top end caps back off and go from there.  I know proir to resemble everything was cleaned and cleaned very well.     I looked on eBay real quick not luck on 4/6 gaskets :/.  Maybe with the part number I'll have better luck.     Ive rebuilt many of these sleds and this is first time this happened to me lol.  My 82 ltd is next for new gaskets.  Think I'll find the oem ones for that one as well was gonna do the winderosas but might pass ?    Thanks again guys!! Mike.  One more problem....... Where the heck is the snow?!?!?

5kaws

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 09:47:05 PM »
11004-3010 gasket  & 11004-3015 rings ? Are these the correct numbers?
Thanks -Mike

gixxer6

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 06:54:28 AM »
11004-3010 gasket  & 11004-3015 rings ? Are these the correct numbers?
Thanks -Mike

This is correct.  There are a few of each on eBay now...

These are great gaskets, however they are not magic...you should go through and make sure everything is correct before installing them (or any head gasket).  Have you read through this:  http://kawasakitrax.com/kawiforum/index.php?topic=8.0

5kaws

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 05:17:40 PM »
Ok great thanks tom!! 
After typing those numbers in search I found them. 
Today for heck of it I added washers and looks like it stopped for now.  I noticed that lots of the nuts where hitting top of the nut.   i am gonna start engine and go from there.  But in mean time I'm gonna order the new gaskets and either use or have as back up.  I will prob just use them and be rest assured.  Kinda crazy tho , engine was in running order.  I just wanted to freshen it up since it had 5100miles on it. It ran great and had no leaks.   But after putting back together those leaked lol. Wonder if the studs backed out enough to where i ran into this problem for them bottoming out?   I'll let you guys know after a few days of sitting and running for leaks.   Thanks again guys.   Mike

Lloyd (ljm)

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 06:18:08 AM »

I have used regular nuts on the heads. They seem to seal the head much better.
77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres

5kaws

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 06:37:33 PM »
Well it's been some time now and not one leak!
After wet sanding the surfaces and new gaskets she's good to go!
Thanks again guys!

gixxer6

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 07:04:17 PM »
Glad you got it fixed!  What head gaskets did you end up with?