Author Topic: Boogity boogity boogity, let's go racing.  (Read 15914 times)

Ameritude

Re: Boogity boogity boogity, let's go racing.
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2021, 11:10:31 PM »
Well some good news and some bad news... the good news is that I got the clutches cleaned and on the sled, the bad news is that my steering is way to sloppy, im not sure how I'm going to fix it but it seems like the engine needs to come out to replace that lower rubber bushing with whatever I'm going to. Has anybody replaced it with like a bearing? Anyways ill keep you guys updated.

Ameritude

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2021, 11:13:20 PM »
Correction, it may be possible to only have to pull the engine "partially" out to access the bushing

gixxer6

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2021, 06:08:57 PM »
I have updated the lower sloppy rubber grommet to the newer style aluminum block with plastic bushings. 

Ameritude

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2021, 09:34:32 PM »
Where did you get it from? Whal's? Was it a direct replacement, also thankyou for the response

gixxer6

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2021, 01:30:10 PM »
I pulled it from an 80-82 Kawasaki.  Or, I think it's the same as the upper block & bushings. 

I recall needing to use rivet nuts in order to switch to the newer style on the 79' Invader chassis. 

gixxer6

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2021, 02:12:34 PM »
I actually did this on the Intimidator.  You can see it in the picture on post #26 http://kawasakitrax.com/kawiforum/index.php?topic=1809.15

Ameritude

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2021, 08:37:37 PM »
Perfect thankyou

Ameritude

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2021, 01:02:48 PM »
Engines out currently, but I replaced the lower steering bushing as per the advice of gixxer6. Works great, thankyou.

gixxer6

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2021, 02:12:09 PM »
You're welcome. 

The sled looks great!  It's going to be FAST!   ;D

Ameritude

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2022, 11:28:48 AM »
I've looked high and low for this info, and I can't seem to find a thread anywhere (let me know if I'm wrong). I have the sled all back together and it does start and run, not well, way to rich but thats a different problem. However, I have no lights, rpm signal or power to any thing on the dash. I have traced the wires that I changed and it matches a wiring diagram. I tested the two yellow wires coming out of the engine for ac voltage and its there. I am on my 3rd voltage regulator (2 used and 1 new) does anyone know what could be going on? Im about to go back out and figure out how far the voltage from the engine gets, but it seemed like it stopped at the regulator. Also, does anyone have some numbers to look for with resistance values or voltage numbers to expect. Thankyou in advance anything helps

gixxer6

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2022, 12:54:33 PM »
Sounds like it may be a bad ground somewhere? 

mswyka

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2022, 02:53:18 PM »
Ground is a good place to check since it is common to all.  It would be good to double check all the connections.  Sometimes when i have slid connectors together the pins have pushed out and not made contact.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

mswyka

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2022, 06:46:03 PM »
I went to ride one of our sleds last night and found that it had no lights or tach.  Tonight I found this - one of the connectors from the engine had wiggled out a bit too far.  I was able to push the connector pin back into place and proper operation was restored.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 07:02:39 PM by mswyka »
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

Ameritude

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2022, 01:30:26 PM »
Very disheartening update, I was testing/tuning the sled (holy crap the thing rips) and changed jets in the carbs. Well I dident realize that I forgot to tighten the left carb boot which created a huge air leak... and the picture says it all. The push is still very much happening however because the next races are in two weeks and you best believe, I will be there. I have located a "new" jug and brand new Wiseco's are on there way. Anyways, I guess thats just a hard lesson to learn but a lesson none the less. The engine is completely dissasebled currently and cleaned like never before, it should be back together by the 5th which will give me just enough time to break it in and adjust clutching a little. Also the brakes work almost to good and stop amazingly, clutches rev out to 7900 and holds (want to raise just a hair to 8100 but only if time permits) and I have to make some custom carb flanges (unless someone knows of some) that will let the carbs sit level and not at 15 degrees. Anyways ill update when I can.

gixxer6

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2022, 02:07:06 PM »
Ouch!  That was a costly mistake.  I've been there, forget one little detail and cause a catastrophic failure. 

Running at 7900 should be right at the very peak of the power curve for a stock motor.  I wouldn't recommend going to 8100, the curve falls off dramatically after the peak...Unless you have done some port work?   

Looks like you've got a P85 on there, what are you running for spring and weights?  Do you have a Polaris secondary as well?