Author Topic: Tunnel Polishing  (Read 2827 times)

mswyka

Tunnel Polishing
« on: July 21, 2022, 01:07:06 PM »
On the last few sled projects we have painted the tunnels.  Results have been mixed.  On the current project I am considering polishing the tunnel and am interested in the best way to do a tunnel polish.  All input appreciated.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: Tunnel Polishing
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 03:44:18 PM »
I have heard of using baking soda thru the sand plaster but have never tried it.

sprocket

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 09:35:47 PM »
If you want a high gloss that hurts your eyes
Buy a good angle grinder put on a sewn wheel glaze the wheel with brown tripolo then work it on the tunnel. If you can clamp the tunnel down it would be best. Keep glazing the wheel and moving around your grinder is going to get a work out so wear some gloves. After you see it shinny then take the sewn wheel off and put on a cotton wheel now glaze the wheel with white polish and go over the whole tunnel. Next take a clean cotton wheel and put on green polish do the same thing to the whole tunnel. Next you can either put on a new wheel or clean off the one you are using with a screw driver. Now take blue roush (it’s called blue moon) glaze the wheel and go to town this is the highest polish out there all these polish’s are like a bar of gold in size they all have different grits in them. To wash off the black stuff use a very soft towel with Green Palmolive dish soap & hot water.  Then risen off with water
There areas you can’t get to use smaller die grinders with the wheels
People always claimed these liquid polishes work but Reality it’s bs

sprocket

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2022, 09:47:56 PM »
Ive done my fare share of polishing. Some people will wet sand with a block the finer the grit the higher the polish end result. Have to remember though most tunnels are thin to start with I wouldn’t do much sanding and Focus more on polishing it. If you don’t want to go through all that I’ve said you can buy a car buffer and use white Diamond that stuff will
Make it shinny. Heard of guys using WD40 with steel wool do not use course steel wool you won’t get the scratches out. Believe it or not you can use newspaper and It will polish paper has grit in it

mswyka

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 07:37:39 PM »
I appreciate the input.  Thank you.

gixxer6

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 12:09:58 PM »
I've never been a fan of the shiny chrome/polished look so I've had my Invaders powder coated.  #366 I wanted to keep it original looking so I had the tunnel brushed by a metal finishing company.  I like the brushed look, and it's MUCH more forgiving and easy to maintain than polished.  Just food for thought...

mswyka

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 11:39:02 AM »
I've never been a fan of the shiny chrome/polished look so I've had my Invaders powder coated.  #366 I wanted to keep it original looking so I had the tunnel brushed by a metal finishing company.  I like the brushed look, and it's MUCH more forgiving and easy to maintain than polished.  Just food for thought...

Hadn't thought about a brushed finish.  I will need to look into that.

gixxer6

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 07:16:56 AM »

Since then, I have learned how easy it is to do at home and have done a few other aluminum pieces myself.  A good scotch-brite pad and elbow grease and they turn out amazing. 

mswyka

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 05:54:37 PM »

I will have to give that a try.

Since then, I have learned how easy it is to do at home and have done a few other aluminum pieces myself.  A good scotch-brite pad and elbow grease and they turn out amazing.