Author Topic: Compression on a 1979 Kawasaki Intruder  (Read 27 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jbenjamin

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 17
Compression on a 1979 Kawasaki Intruder
« on: October 02, 2026, 03:01:53 PM »
Hi All,

I purchased a 1979 Intruder last fall and I'm just getting started on this sled. I know very little about the sled, so I decided to look into what kind of condition the engine is in. I pulled the plugs out and they look brand new. I then went to pull the engine over and had liquid shoot out of both cylinders. There was so much that it shot what I think was oil (red) all over my ceiling in my garage (14ft). I just didn't expect that otherwise I would have covered the spark plug holes. I then covered the holes with a rag and continued to pull it over until most of the oil was gone. I hooked up a compression tester to each of the cylinders and both measured 150 psi. Is this normal, since the service manual states is should be 90 to 95 psi? If the service manual is correct this engine must have some type of modification to it. Just curious what some of you think about this?

Thank you for your response in advance.

JB
1978 Kawasaki 440 Intruder
3-1979 Kawasaki 440 Intruders