Author Topic: head bolts coolant leak  (Read 4332 times)

Macs80hp440

head bolts coolant leak
« on: January 12, 2014, 10:18:54 PM »
Did a quick search on Kawi Trax and can't find an answer.  I did a complete rebuild on a 440 Invader.  Replaced with gasket kit and seals.  Noticed the head bolts are torque at 16 ft/lb.  The head bolts (actually the nuts) have a small wet green leak around the base of the nuts.  I gave them another 1/8th turn and it made it better.  Gave them another 1/8th turn and it seemed better still.  Now they do not leak just sitting there, but still get wet when idle. 

QUESTION:  when do I get the head bolts "too tight" and the gasket cracks.  Or- is there a better fix than tightening the bolts? 

More Importantly:  how much is getting into the cylinder?  (in other words, do I take it all apart again...?)

I'm almost ready for snow.  This leak is the only major thing keeping me from riding.  Thanks for the insight Kawi Trax.

--------------------------------------------
'73 Scorpion Super Stinger 440 (White - 2nd Owner)
'78 Invader 440 (rebuild)
'79 Invader 440 (rebuild)
'77 Sno Jet SST 440 (2nd Owner)
'76 Rupp Rally

jimvw57

Re: head bolts coolant leak
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 11:07:56 PM »
A common problem.  It comes from the cylinder/head studs getting stretched out over time and the acorn style nuts on the heads will bottom out before they fully tighten down on the heads. Easy fix is to add another washer under the acorn nuts so there is less thread inside the acorn nuts, or replace the studs, or grind them down a touch.

It never hurts to re-torque the heads after you run the motor and let it cool down.

gixxer6

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 07:14:01 AM »
Over tightening them can warp the heads.  Have you seen this?  http://kawasakitrax.com/kawiforum/index.php?topic=8.0

I consider myself a fairly good mechanic, and I could never get either of my Invaders heads to seal.  I tried NOS Kawasaki gaskets, NOS John Deere 2 piece gaskets, Cometic, Winderosa, and Kimpex.  I tried them with no sealant, and several types of sealants.  I verified my heads were not warped and ensured that the nuts were not bottoming.  Followed the shop manual to the letter.  Nothing I did would make them seal.  Just when I was about to give up, I found the miracle cure...4/6 LTD 2-piece gaskets.  I installed them on both my Invaders (no sealant) and never leaked again.  They are even reusable!  I pulled the heads on my 81' and had them shaved, reinstalled with the same gaskets, still no leaks. 

kawhead

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 08:04:20 AM »
imo in this case i'd take the nuts off one at a time, and another washer,clean the head surface/washer with acetone,use a small amount of black intake manifold silicone on the head,torque nut,should take care of the leaks.....no water should make it past the fire ring into the cyl.

Macs80hp440

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 08:50:12 AM »
Ok- it sounds like two simple approaches.  1)  add washer to help acorn nut; and 2) add silicone as backup plan.  And I do not need to worry about water in cylinder- the water is only coming up the bolt and under nut.  I'm pretty sure I have not gone too far in tight and not warped the head.  But, I'm using parts from other parts and it is possible the head is warped by previous efforts.

Then- if this doesn't work, I'll look into the gixxer fix and use a 4/6 two-piece gasket...if I can find one.

Thanks again folks.
'76 Rupp Rally

gixxer6

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 07:07:18 AM »
Any luck?

Macs80hp440

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 07:44:16 AM »
Any luck?

Yep- So far I've just given the nuts a 1/16th turn nudge at a time (not 1/8th like I said before).  Each time less leak and slower leak improves.  I've ran the motor a couple heat cycles and cool down.  At this point I have no wet nuts and washers.  But if it shows up at this point, I will do what kawhead suggests- one nut at a time add a washer and retighten.

It's a funny process.  Now that the head bolts are good, I noticed a wet gasket under the manifold.  It makes one drop over night sitting, and one drop in 5 minutes running.  I've tightened those bolts, but I'm pretty sure I can't go any further.  If it leaks again I will probably try a wet gasket of some kind.

It's always something when you rebuild and start over.  I can't wait until I stop chasing my tail and actually begin trusting my work.  Does that ever happen?!
'76 Rupp Rally

kawhead

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 08:18:03 AM »
those small leaks and most everything else falls under "shizz happens"...when oem gaskets were new [head,water]i never had to use a sealer, just wipe the surface with acetone and put together,97 % no leaks, now i use a skim coat {thin!} of black  intake manifold silicone ,works pretty good, i think acetone is a must to remove any oil film...