Author Topic: The Intimidator  (Read 49104 times)

gixxer6

Re: The Intimidator
« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2019, 08:41:41 AM »
I'm fairly confident that it's not a clutching issue.  I can hear a subtle hesitation, or pop when it climbs in RPM just before it drops 500 rpm, almost like a misfire.   So far I have tried a different CDI box and new spark plugs with the same result.  I set the timing per the manual, then adjusted it per the Kawasaki Performance kit instructions (slightly advanced). 

I put a different coil in it last night but didn't have time to try it (I'll do that tonight).  If that doesn't help I am going to pull the carbs and see if maybe I missed something when I cleaned them.  I'm running 38mm mikunis with the stock airbox installed.  I have 320 main jets in it (we are at 600ft elevation).  Does that sound like I'm in the right neighborhood? 

Thanks for your help.   :)

sprocket

« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2019, 11:22:49 AM »
Is the exciter coil & pulsar coil good ? The popping can come from to far advanced try the stock location. The other thing to look for is your kill switch sometimes the toggle doesn't have a good positive connection some of the aftermarket tethers needs a little screw in the cap. What did your plugs look like (color) that will determine if need to go up or down on your jetting. 38mm carburetors are good

gixxer6

« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2019, 12:27:03 PM »
As far as I know the stator is good.  I am seeing no other signs that it could be bad.  The kill switch is NOS and the tether is a new OEM Polaris unit.  Being that it's consistently RPM based, I'm leaning toward either a fueling issue, or maybe the timing is too far advanced for this setup. 

gixxer6

« Reply #138 on: March 10, 2019, 06:01:55 PM »
I was remembering wrong about the timing.  The kit instructions had me set it a little retarded (which seems backwards to me).  I put a timing light on it and it was acting a little funny, I couldn’t see the timing marks consistently, only once in a while.  So I pulled the stator and flywheel and replaced them and reset the timing to stock.  It still acts funny when I have the timing light on it, I’m not sure what to make of that.  When I do see the timing mark it’s right on though.  It’s been several years since I’ve set the timing on one of these, maybe that’s normal?  I’m hoping to take it out for a ride tomorrow night to test the new flywheel/stator, but I’m not hopeful. 

sprocket

« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2019, 04:33:37 PM »
Just a question here do you have a ground from the engine to the chassis

gixxer6

« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2019, 07:39:21 AM »
It has the stock wire harness and ground points, so I assume it's grounded.  I will measure it to verify. 

No change with the different flywheel and stator.  That pretty much rules out the ignition system.   I'm stumped.   :'(

mswyka

« Reply #141 on: March 14, 2019, 07:58:08 AM »
Considering that the engine will run on its own when not connected to the sled wiring harness, a ground issue can be easily ruled out.  I am no expert on racing, but I am wondering if the carbs might be at the upper limit of their ability to supply fuel.  What size fuel needle is installed in the carbs?  Also, the Interceptor opted for two fuel pumps.  Is it possible that the pump is at or near its limit when the engine is running at the higher RPMs?
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

gixxer6

« Reply #142 on: March 14, 2019, 05:51:31 PM »
That is possible.  Although at 100% throttle the needle is completely out of the picture and the carbs should be regulated only by the main jets. 

Another piece of information that I neglected to share is that when I ran it at 30 degrees it ran worse.  It would only run a consistent 8100 instead.  If it were a lean condition causing the issue I would expect it to run better in the warmer temps. 

Good idea to unplug the wire harness.  Unfortunately it’s 50 degrees and raining here now, so I’m not sure when I’ll be able to run it again. 

mswyka

« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2019, 07:07:03 AM »
The needle that I was questioning is the fuel needle/seat that meters fuel into the bowl.  It could be possible that the difference in RPM could be coming from whether the fuel needle is open or not.  Just conjecture on my part.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

sprocket

« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2019, 08:16:30 AM »
Right from the Wahlracing book
VM38 carburetor  main jet 360 needle jet 166 Q-O, jet needle 6DH3, Pilot jet 40, needle & seat 1.5, slide 2.5 this is what they come stock. How close is your set up ?. What fuel pump are you using ?.

gixxer6

« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2019, 10:54:56 AM »
VM38s 320 mains, 35 pilots, 6dh7 needle (middle clip), Q0 needle jets.  Stock Invader fuel pump.  Carbs were thoroughly cleaned and new jets installed. 

These specs came from a friend who is running a modified 550.   

sprocket

« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2019, 08:14:52 AM »
A modified 550 is different than a mod 440. Air velocity on how fast you can push through your ports with the proper carb set up. On air velocity in your timed ports the higher you go with rpms the window gets smaller there for you need more fuel to compensate. 

gixxer6

« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2019, 12:53:32 PM »
Ok, I picked up some 360 mains and put them in last night.  Luckily we got a few inches of snow last night and the temps dropped to the mid 20’s.  I took it for a ride today with the larger jets and it’ll jump up to 8200 then drop quickly, if I hold it open it will drop to 6500 or lower. 

I did notice when I got back that the plugs are different colors.  One is carmel color and the other is dark grey.  I’m not sure what that means? 

gixxer6

« Reply #148 on: March 17, 2019, 02:49:40 PM »
Needle and seat are 1.5, slide is brass 3.0

sprocket

« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2019, 05:00:17 PM »
 Caramel like light brown is ok but dark grey is not good. 3.0 slides is pretty big which side is the Carmel plug on ?. Dark grey is indicating it's lean